11 April 2014

The Gathering Dark, A.K.A. Shadow And Bone (Review)

The Grisha: The Gathering Dark | Leigh Bardugo
Published by: Indigo, June 7th 2012
Genre: YA, High fantasy
Pages: 310
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought

The Shadow Fold, a swathe of impenetrable darkness, crawling with monsters that feast on human flesh, is slowly destroying the once-great nation of Ravka.

Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom’s magical elite—the Grisha. Could she be the key to unravelling the dark fabric of the Shadow Fold and setting Ravka free?

The Darkling, a creature of seductive charm and terrifying power, leader of the Grisha. If Alina is to fulfil her destiny, she must discover how to unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him.

But what of Mal, Alina’s childhood best friend? As Alina contemplates her dazzling new future, why can’t she ever quite forget him?

Glorious. Epic. Irresistible. Romance.




I have a lot of thoughts about The Gathering Dark but I don't know where to begin. I loved some aspects of it and was really underwhelmed by others. I thought that Leigh Bardugo's world building was second to none, that her imagination and craft was wonderful, but there was just something holding me back from being completely enamoured by it.

I loved the Darkling, liked Alina well enough, and tolerated Mal - which is to say, I had the same experience with a love triangle as I usually do. The plot was gripping, the stakes high, and I loved the way everything played out.

But I still didn't utterly love it. Not sure why. Hoping the next book will draw me further into the world of The Grisha.

Characters 
Setting/world building 
Writing Style ★★


1 comment:

  1. See, that's why I haven't read it yet. I've read some fantastic reviews on it but I don't know if it's for me. And I hate it when it's so good but it's something just missing (and of course you never know what) there's always something just...off. And I do like love triangles depending on the role they play (and not just being there to create a love triangle, because you know, every YA just has to have one.) Glad you enjoyed it otherwise though! :)

    ReplyDelete