13 April 2014

The 57 Lives of Alex Wayfare (DNF Review)

Alex Wayfare: The 57 Lives of Alex Wayfare | M. G. Buehrlen
Published by: Strange Chemistry, March 4th 2014
Genre: YA, Science Fiction
Pages: 368
Format: Ebook
Source: Strange Chemistry via Netgalley (sorry for the delay!)

For as long as 17-year-old Alex Wayfare can remember, she has had visions of the past. Visions that make her feel like she’s really on a ship bound for America, living in Jamestown during the Starving Time, or riding the original Ferris wheel at the World’s Fair.

But these brushes with history pull her from her daily life without warning, sometimes leaving her with strange lasting effects and wounds she can’t explain. Trying to excuse away the aftereffects has booked her more time in the principal’s office than in any of her classes and a permanent place at the bottom of the social hierarchy. Alex is desperate to find out what her visions mean and get rid of them.

It isn’t until she meets Porter, a stranger who knows more than should be possible about her, that she learns the truth: Her visions aren’t really visions. Alex is a Descender – capable of traveling back in time by accessing Limbo, the space between Life and Afterlife. Alex is one soul with fifty-six past lives, fifty-six histories.

Fifty-six lifetimes to explore: the prospect is irresistible to Alex, especially when the same mysterious boy with soulful blue eyes keeps showing up in each of them. But the more she descends, the more it becomes apparent that someone doesn’t want Alex to travel again. Ever.

And will stop at nothing to make this life her last.



I tried so hard to get into this book but I just couldn't. I thought I would love it but I didn't even like it, which is really bizarre since I've been anticipating this book for so long. It had time travel in it for God's sake - I was bound to love it. Except I didn't, which makes me extra sad.

Like I've done with other DNF books, I made a list of good and bad points:

What I liked:

The love interest was as unique as you could possibly get
The limbo aspect of the story was really intriguing
It's the most creative use of time travel I've read

What I didn't:

I just could not connect with the protagonist. At all.
There was something about the parts of the book that were in the past that I just couldn't get into. My reading felt ... flat. There was nothing to keep my interest, even though lots of things were happening.
Even the parts in the present didn't hook me. I was just reading for the sake of reading, and not enjoying it.

Conclusion

Wanted to love this book so much, but I just don't think me and The 57 Lives of Alex Wayfare are meant to be friends.

(No star rating since I DNF)

Side note: Will these DNF books ever end? I'm either reading spectacular books right now, or I'm not finishing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment