24 January 2014

Infinityglass (RC Review)

Hourglass: Infinityglass | Myra McEntire
Published by: Egmont USA, August 6th 2013
Genre: YA, Science Fiction
Pages: 304
Format: Ebook
Source: Egmont USA via Netgalley (thank you so much, and so so sorry for the delay.)

The stakes have risen even higher in this third book in the Hourglass series.

The Hourglass is a secret organization focused on the study of manipulating time, and its members — many of them teenagers -­have uncanny abilities to make time work for them in mysterious ways. Inherent in these powers is a responsibility to take great care, because altering one small moment can have devastating consequences for the past, present, and future. But some time trav­elers are not exactly honorable, and sometimes unsavory deals must be struck to maintain order.

With the Infinityglass (central to understanding and harnessing the time gene) at large, the hunt is on to find it before someone else does.

But the Hourglass has an advantage. Lily, who has the ability to locate anything lost, has determined that the Infinityglass isn't an object. It's a person. And the Hourglass must find him or her first. But where do you start searching for the very key to time when every second could be the last?




The blurb does this book no justice. It doesn't focus on Dune, or Hallie at all - though this may be to leave an edge of mystery. But I think it could benefit from mentioning them at least, since they are the focus of this book and so brilliant and fun and heart-wrenching to read.

For most of Infinityglass, I was wondering how this could be a series ender. I suppose that's my fault, coming into it with a preconception that every chapter had to be action packed to end a trilogy. I loved the story of Dune and Hallie, and the idea that a person could be the Infinityglass was intriguing - but it still felt lacking for half of the book.

However - it was fascinating to watch the way Hallie changed, and the rips and new rip worlds were frightening. Dune and Hallie's relationship was both slow and quick to develop, and felt entirely feasible and real. I didn't particularly love them in the beginning, but I personally liked the way I warmed to them as I got to know them more, like I would real people.

Myra McEntire is brilliant at writing authentic, lovable characters. Her plots are always complex and packed full of rips, time travel, and danger, but for me it's the characters and their relationships that make her books. And for that reason I am so upset this is the final book - I'm nowhere near ready to say goodbye to these people.


I didn't know I was sad to let this series go until I had finished it, but now I am a little bit wrecked. I will miss these characters so much, it's not even funny. Please give me a spin off.

To sum up: an engaging, heart-warming love story, wrapped in danger and ripples from the past.

Characters ★★★★★
Setting/world building ★★★
Writing Style ★★




No comments:

Post a Comment