26 September 2014

Trial By Fire (ARC Review)

Worldwalker Trilogy: Trial By Fire | Josephine Angelini
Published by: Macmillan children's books, August 28th 2014
Genre: YA, Fantasy + witches
Pages: 384
Format: Ebook
Source: Macmillan children's books, via Netgalley

The exhilaratingly seductive new series from the author of the bestselling Starcrossed series

Love burns. Worlds collide. Magic reigns.

This world is trying to kill Lily Proctor. Her life-threatening allergies keep her from enjoying many of the experiences that other teenagers take for granted...which is why she is determined to enjoy her first (and perhaps only) high-school party. But Lily's life never goes according to plan, and after a humiliating incident in front of half her graduating class Lily wishes she could just disappear.

Suddenly Lily is in a different Salem - one overrun with horrifying creatures and ruled by powerful women called Crucibles. Strongest and cruellest of all the Crucibles is Lillian . . . Lily's identical other self in this alternate universe. This new version of her world is terrifyingly sensual, and Lily is soon overwhelmed by new experiences.

Lily realizes that what makes her weak at home is exactly what makes her extraordinary in New Salem. It also puts her life in danger. Thrown into a world she doesn't understand, Lily is torn between responsibilities she can't hope to shoulder alone, and a love she never expected.

But how can Lily be the saviour of this world when she is literally her own worst enemy?


Every man, woman, and their dog seems to be loving this book lately so I was pretty excited to read it. Unfortunately we hit it off pretty bad, me and Trial By Fire. The characters in the first few chapters were despicable, insufferable, and downright unlikeable. The story was disinteresting, and the setting didn't grip me one but. But I'm happy to say ALL of that changed when Lily went to the other world.

The other world was imaginative, well built, and an amalgamation of the typical old medieval style fantasy and new world technology. I LOVED how the world was explained, how it sprang into being ruled by witches and magic when the Salem witches were burned, not hung. I liked a lot of things about this book, mostly the story and the setting and the magic. The magic was so creative and felt new and old school at the same time. I really enjoyed the blend of new and old in this book.

The characters stayed pretty iffy with me though. While I grew to like Lily because of her bravery and guts, I never warmed to Tristan. And my relationship with Rowan was about as complicated as they came - one minute I was starting to like him, the next I aggressively hated him. I kept flipping between the two, like and hate, every few chapters. It was irritating but I have a feeling I'll eventually settle into liking him. Caleb was really the only character I started off and ended up liking.

All in all Trial By Fire was a great new take on the witch lore, with a unique story and an imaginative world, but I must say I think I'll like book two in this series much more than I like this one. I'm looking forward to book two and the continuation of Lily's story.

Characters ★
Setting/world building ★
Writing Style ★★



---

(from galley:)


"I'm a witch. And witches burn."

"She wondered if this was what a dying star must feel like - never hotter than just before it goes supernova."

No comments:

Post a Comment