17 September 2014

Tabula Rasa (ARC Review)

Tabula Rasa | Kristen Lippert-Martin
Published by: Egmont USA, September 23rd 2014
Genre: YA, Thriller, Science fiction
Pages: 352
Format: Ebook
Source: Egmont USA, via Edelweiss

The Bourne Identity meets Divergent in this heart-pounding debut.

Sixteen-year-old Sarah has a rare chance at a new life. Or so the doctors tell her. She’s been undergoing a cutting-edge procedure that will render her a tabula rasa—a blank slate. Memory by memory her troubled past is being taken away.

But when her final surgery is interrupted and a team of elite soldiers invades the isolated hospital under cover of a massive blizzard, her fresh start could be her end. 

Navigating familiar halls that have become a dangerous maze with the help of a teen computer hacker who's trying to bring the hospital down for his own reasons, Sarah starts to piece together who she is and why someone would want her erased. And she won’t be silenced again.

A high-stakes thriller featuring a non-stop race for survival and a smart heroine who will risk everything, Tabula Rasa is, in short, unforgettable.


This was my thought after the first 50%: Holy crap! An Egmont USA book I actually like??? Woah. Thought there'd only ever be one of those (Human.4) but I've been pleasantly surprised.

This was my thought after the last 50%: Holy crap. That was the shittiest thriller I've read in my life. 0 thrills.

Tabula Rasa and I got off to a good start. I enjoyed the isolated, ominous hospital (at first) and I was intrigued by a lot of things. Why was Sarah there, what was the purpose of the hospital, who was helping her, what the heck do her green eyes mean?

(the green eyes mean Fuck All. I'm so pissed)

My favourite part of this book was the yurt. Yurts are just cool, and very rarely utilised in YA. But Tabula Rasa had a yurt and it was cool, but it lasted about three chapters. I started to dislike this book pretty much after it left the yurt. Here's what went down:

A borderline tolerant romance sprung up. The guy seemed at parts obsessed with her and at others bland. That was all I got from his personality. Something bad about pills and brain things? Gum would fill her brain? I GOT CONFUSED. They went back into the hospital, and very little happened. The unneeded addition of a bunch of army guys, who were clearly only added to be killed off. Should've made Sarah tough it out by herself instead. I got even more bored. Something about a madman and a crane? A villain who was dishwater dull.

Here's what was good: The writing is non-offensive, the main character isn't too infuriating, ... there's a yurt? 

(Katniss-esqe character MY ASS. Basically you mean she's a girl. A girl character. Must be Katniss. I don't even like THG that much, but if you suggest your character's gonna pack a punch, be true)

It wasn't an awful book, but it did get really tedious around halfway. If you're looking for a proper thriller, I'd pass on this one.

Characters ★
Setting/world building ★
Writing Style ★



No comments:

Post a Comment