21 September 2014

The Replacement (Review)

The Replacement | Brenna Yovanoff
Published by: Simon & Schuster, January 1st 2011
Genre: YA, Urban Fantasy, Fairy Lore
Pages: 375
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased

Though he lives in the small town of Gentry, Mackie comes from a world of tunnels and black, murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattoed princess. He is a replacement - left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago when it was stolen away by the fey. Now, because of fatal allergies to iron, blood and consecrated ground, Mackie is slowly dying in the human world. Mackie would give anything just to be normal, to live quietly amongst humans, practice his bass guitar and spend time with his crush, Tate. But when Tate's baby sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry, known as Mayhem, where he must face down the dark creatures and find his rightful place - in our world, or theirs.


I could tell you about the wonderful writing of this book, about it's genuine, flawed characters and its imaginative, complex worlds, but sometimes those things don't make a book. Sometimes the things I usually get all critical about take a backseat for the way a book makes me feel, and this book has me aching.

I liked this book for half of it, really enjoyed it for the second half, and I only realised on the last page, with pressure behind my eyes and a heaviness in my chest, that I'd fallen in love with it. The Replacement took me completely off guard. 

 Characters ★★★
Setting/world building ★★★★
Writing Style ★★



2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Brenna Yovanoff! The Replacements the only one I haven't read yet (okay, and Fiendish now) but completely agree, she has a way of just, I don't even know, sucks you right in. Like with Paper Valentine, I couldn't get into it in the beginning but by the end loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I NEEEEEEED FIENDISH. And actually all the others. It's very hard for me to not buy them all right now.

      Must ... Resist ...

      Delete