26 June 2014

The Assassin's Curse (Review)

The Assassin's Curse: The Assassin's Curse | Cassandra Rose Clarke
Published by: Strange Chemistry, October 2nd 2012
Genre: YA, High Fantasy
Pages: 298
Format: Ebook
Source: Purchased

Ananna of the Tanarau abandons ship when her parents try to marry her off to another pirate clan. But that only prompts the scorned clan to send an assassin after her. When Ananna faces him down one night, armed with magic she doesn't really know how to use, she accidentally activates a curse binding them together. 

To break the spell, Ananna and the assassin must complete three impossible tasks--all while grappling with evil wizards, floating islands, haughty manticores, runaway nobility, strange magic...and the growing romantic tension between them.


I thought as soon as I read the first paragraph that I was going to fall head over heels for this book.

I wasn't wrong.

The voice is unique, witty, and wonderful to read. The writing itself is a delight, and the characters - oh, how I adored the characters. Ananna is my favourite pirate in the entire world right now. I loved how capable she was, how she wasn't afraid to run into a fight, and how she wasn't afraid to allow weakness in, missing her family, fearing the assassins. I truly, truly love her. But Naji is my favourite character in this book, in any book that ever existed, and for my love of him to go above and beyond my love for Ananna is really something. He's so grumpy and intimidating and wonderfully, heartbreakingly broken. And he just wants to be loved. Falling off a cliff would hurt less than reading this book.

I would have loved The Assassin's Curse for its characters alone, but the story is a goddamned delight and made this one of my absolute favourite books of all time. It is vivid in its imagery, imaginative in its story and characters and world. I was invested in Naji's curse and finding a cure before I even knew it.

I loved literally everything about this book - the pirates, the ships, the desert, the magic, the dark threat, the floating freaking island of terror, the little hut. *wistful sigh* *heart eyes*

My only complaint is this book is 300 pages long, and I require it, by law, to be 3000.
(I went straight into the sequel upon finishing this, and I've already read a quarter of it, and I am quickly running out of book. I'm going to cry when I've read all the Assassin's Curse stories)

Characters ★
Setting/world building ★
Writing Style ★★



No comments:

Post a Comment