23 June 2014

Reading round up (31)

Reading round up is a weekly journal where I record my daily reading progress and my thoughts on each book as I read it. I need to power through a couple galleys this week, so I can justify reading Perfect Ruin next.

16th June

Current page/percent: 20%
Read today: 11%
Thoughts: Thinking this will have a long build up, but looking forward to the world building. I've been needing a book like this for a few weeks.

17th June
Current page/percent: 32%
Read today: 12%
Thoughts: I;m confused, nothing is clear, and it's taking FOR EVER to get to this damned castle.

18th June
Current page/percent: 43%
Read today: 11%
Thoughts: I'm sick and this book is dragging and boring.

19th June

Got to 57% of Queen of The Tearling (14% read), and I think I need another book to break up the slow drag, so I started Madly, Deeply by Erica Crouch. I read 35% of it and I'm loving it. It's slow and gothic and eerie and romantic, and the world building and historical details are lush and lovely. I really like this. I'm gonna have to make time to read Ignite real soon, because Crouch's writing is just stunning.


20th June

Currently reading: Madly, Deeply | Erica Crouch
Current page/percent: 70%
Read today: 45%
Thoughts: Very emotional, this one. And now the cover makes sense.

21st June

Finished Madly, Deeply (30%) and didn't enjoy the end so much. Also started Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza (11%) which is boring me to death ALREADY. What happened to being an experiment? There's no hint of it whatsoever, bar a tiny reflex thing. Thinking this book will probably drive me back to Queen of The Tearling.

22nd June

Read another 19% of Mila 2.0. I'm glad to see the science fiction coming into it now I've hit 30%, but I'm still pretty meh about the whole thing. Is a date really the best course of action when you've just found out you're an android?? I also read 13% of Queen of The Tearling, in which fuck all is happening. If this book was 100% about Mace I would enjoy it so much more. All in all a pretty bad weekend of reading.

Books finished this week: 1

~

Books added to my collection:

Light Beneath Ferns | Anne Spollen
The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender | Leslye Walton

When I was sick earlier this week, I just really wanted an atmospheric paranormal-esque contemporary to dive into, but I couldn't find anything on my shelves or on Scribd. So I've now rectified that with these two. Ava Lavender I've wanted for a while, and sounds exactly what I'm after (though was quite expensive). And the other I hope will be haunting and eerie and really good (it was quite cheap so I'm hoping for a gem here).

If you know of any other books similar to these (especially which deal with ghosts or death in some way) or like The Vanishing Season by Jodi Lynn Anderson, my favourite contemporary, please recommend them.


Boy Nobody | Allen Zadoff

I also bought this because it was less than £3 which is ridiculous. I've been keeping an eye on it for a while.

2 comments:

  1. I loved Ignite (mainly because of the writing) so I'll have to read Madly, Deeply when I get the chance (even if I'll be singing Truly, Madly, Deeply. It's already in my head now, haha. I've got to read Boy Nobody soon, before the second. Ohhh, have you read Love Letters to the Dead yet? I know some hated it, but I could relate to it, and it made me cry, so I loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep hearing about Love Letters to the Dead!! I will definitely give it a try. I know roughly what it's about and I must say it interested me :) Thanks for the rec!

      Delete