15 February 2014

The Murder Complex (ARC Review)

The Murder Complex: The Murder Complex | Lindsay Cummings
Published by: Greenwillow Books, June 10th 2014
Genre: YA, Science Fiction, Thriller
Pages: 400
Format: Ebook
Source: HarperCollins via Edelweiss (thank you so much!)

An action-packed, blood-soaked, futuristic debut thriller set in a world where the murder rate is higher than the birthrate. For fans of Moira Young’s Dust Lands series, La Femme Nikita, and the movie Hanna.

Meadow Woodson, a fifteen-year-old girl who has been trained by her father to fight, to kill, and to survive in any situation, lives with her family on a houseboat in Florida. The state is controlled by The Murder Complex, an organization that tracks the population with precision.

The plot starts to thicken when Meadow meets Zephyr James, who is—although he doesn’t know it—one of the MC’s programmed assassins. Is their meeting a coincidence? Destiny? Or part of a terrifying strategy? And will Zephyr keep Meadow from discovering the haunting truth about her family?


I've been waiting to read The Murder Complex since the day the deal was announced. And I put a lot of expectations on this book - a lot. And while it met some, it didn't meet others, but it was still pretty awesome.

The Murder Complex tells the story of Meadow, a girl whose father has trained her to survive to an insane degree, and Zephyr, a boy who is controlled against his will and made to kill people. Through some pretty untypical events, the two meet and try to kill each other, which was a lovely change to the usual means of going about a romance.

The thing I loved the most about this book was Meadow, and I reckon the rest of the series will see me falling deeper in love with her. She was fiesty, she was passionate, she didn't put up with any crap, and she'd literally kill a man to protect her family. Zephyr I liked but Meadow I loved. I'm not sold on their romance yet, but it feels like a genuine attraction and I can't wait to see it grow.

While there's a lot of action and blood and fights in this book, it lacked the edge that would make it epic. I'm not sure what it is, but some books just have it. This one didn't. Maybe it was because of my high expectations. Maybe it wasn't. But I was never hooked by this book like I wanted to be. 

That said, it's still a pretty amazing, high octane read, packed with action, unique characters, and a well imagined dystopian city. I'm interested to see where book two goes. I think this may be one of the series where the second book is better than the first.


Characters ★★★★
Setting/world building ★★★
Writing Style ★★


1 comment:

  1. I don't know if I'm worried about it now. I can't wait to find out for myself, but I have a lot of expectations with it, too. I'll probably just keep it in mind as it goes along and see. YES. They try to kill each other, so much better. Actually, I really like that. Might not be so bad at all. Glad you still enjoyed it, even if it wasn't what you were expecting.

    ReplyDelete