9 February 2014

Rebel (ARC Review)

Reboot: Rebel | Amy Tintera
Published by: HarperTeen, May 13th 2014
Genre: YA, Science Fiction, Thriller
Pages: 352
Format: Ebook
Source: HarperTeen vis Edelweiss (thank you so much!)

The sequel to the action-packed Reboot is a can't-miss thrill ride, perfect for fans of James Patterson, Veronica Roth, and Marie Lu.

After coming back from death as Reboots and being trained by HARC as soldiers, Wren and Callum have finally escaped north, where they hope to find a life of freedom. But when they arrive at the Reboot Reservation, it isn't what they expected. Under the rule of a bloodthirsty leader, Micah, the Reboots are about to wage an all-out war on the humans. Although Wren's instincts are telling her to set off into the wilderness on their own and leave the battle far behind, Callum is unwilling to let his human family be murdered. When Micah commits the ultimate betrayal, the choice is made for them. But Micah has also made a fatal mistake . . . he's underestimated Wren and Callum.

The explosive finale to the Reboot duology is full of riveting action and steamy love scenes as Wren and Callum become rebels against their own kind.




Reboot was one of my favourite 2013 reads, so I jumped at the chance to review the sequel, Rebel. And it didn't disappoint. While I didn't love Rebel quite as much as Reboot, it has every component about the first book that I adored. 

Callum and Wren's relationship developed perfectly. Their romance and intimacy was genuine, not forced at all like some of the relationships I read. I just love Callum and Wren together. There's something so natural and effortless about the way they are, and I can't help but feel for them, and scream at the book when they get separated.

The action and stakes in Rebel didn't feel as high as Reboot, and I think maybe that's the thing it was lacking. Don't get me wrong, there's some pretty bad moments, but the endgame feels a little pointless. Maybe that's just me and my lack of empathy, but they maybe should have left the rest of the reboots. I'm a little ruthless sometimes, and I expected the same from Wren, but I get that she had to grow and soften a little. It would have been weird had she not, with Callum's influence and her questioning her own emotions.

The thing I love the most about this duology is how unique it is. It's science fiction without being overly focused on the science side, it's horror without being obvious, it's romance without being solely focused on kissing and stuff (though, don't worry, there's definitely kissing and stuff), and it's also a high impact thriller and a subtle dystopia.

I highly recommend this book, and this duology, to everyone.

Characters ★★★★★
Setting/world building ★★
Writing Style ★★


1 comment:

  1. Ahh, I so wanted to download this, but I haven't read Reboot yet, and don't really have the time to. :( Glad you enjoyed it though, really sounds like an intense action packed one, which are always fun! :)

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete