18 February 2014

Stolen Songbird (ARC Review)

The Malediction Trilogy: Stolen Songbird | Danielle. L. Jensen
Published by: Strange Chemistry, April 1st 2014
Genre: YA, High Fantasy
Pages: 436
Format: Ebook
Source: Strange Chemistry via Netgalley (thank you so much!!)

For those who have loved Seraphina and Graceling comes another truly fabulous fantasy...

For five centuries, a witch’s curse has bound the trolls to their city beneath the ruins of Forsaken Mountain. Time enough for their dark and nefarious magic to fade from human memory and into myth. But a prophesy has been spoken of a union with the power to set the trolls free, and when Cécile de Troyes is kidnapped and taken beneath the mountain, she learns there is far more to the myth of the trolls than she could have imagined.

Cécile has only one thing on her mind after she is brought to Trollus: escape. Only the trolls are clever, fast, and inhumanly strong. She will have to bide her time, wait for the perfect opportunity.

But something unexpected happens while she’s waiting – she begins to fall for the enigmatic troll prince to whom she has been bonded and married. She begins to make friends. And she begins to see that she may be the only hope for the half-bloods – part troll, part human creatures who are slaves to the full-blooded trolls. There is a rebellion brewing. And her prince, Tristan, the future king, is its secret leader.

As Cécile becomes involved in the intricate political games of Trollus, she becomes more than a farmer’s daughter. She becomes a princess, the hope of a people, and a witch with magic powerful enough to change Trollus forever.




Stolen Songbird tells the tale of Cecile, a girl kidnapped and forced to marry a troll. Along the way there's magic and hijinks and politics and romance. It's pretty awesome and I am pretty bad at summaries. This won't be a coherent review, my friends.

One of my favourite things about this book is how unique and beautifully vivid the setting is. It's a cave, by the way, buried under a fricking mountain, which is kept from collapsing by troll magic. Oh, and the trolls are cursed and can't leave the mountain. I LOVE TROLLUS. I've never read anything like it in my life. The world building is at once subtle and expansive. Jensen is a bona fide genius at world building.

And the characters! Cecile is gutsy and emotional, feminine and badass. Tristan is swoon-worthy and complicated, a treacherous little shit and an adorable little puppy when he's around Cecile. I'm pretty pissed at a few things he did but I just adore him. The only thing I'd change about him is I'd give him Marc's appearance and make Cecile love him despite his 'grotesque' look. I think that would be a million times awesome. (that doesn't even make sense, don't question me, I love this book.)

I've forgotten what I'm saying. What am I saying? Oh yeah, the lore! Danielle. L. Jensen has somehow found a way to craft an entirely new, refreshing troll species, while still staying true to the superstitions and stories that are familiar to us. I don't know how she does it. I think she must have a bit of magic herself.

My only major issue with the book is the ending. 1: YOU CAN'T LEAVE IT LIKE THAT!!! 2: I kinda felt the last 20% could maybe have been done without. I was just ambling on to the point Cecile left Trollus, not enjoying as much as I had before. But maybe that was just me. I am rather pernickety about endings. Either way the book is amazing.

To sum: Stolen Songbird is an enchanting reinvention of troll folklore packed full of lyrical passages, flawless world building, and wonderful characters, with an original and compelling plot.


Characters ★★★★★
Setting/world building ★★
Writing Style ★★


1 comment:

  1. See, it kind of had me at Trolls. I don't know why. And a badass MC, what else can you ask for? Glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete