17 March 2015

Wicked Nights (Review)

Angels of The Dark: Wicked Nights | Gena Showalter
Published by: Mira Books, July 1st 2012
Genre: Adult, Paranormal Romance, Angels
Pages: 411
Format: Ebook
Source: Purchased

Leader of the most powerful army in the heavens, Zacharel has been deemed nearly too dangerous, too ruthless;and if he isn't careful, he'll lose his wings. But this warrior with a heart of ice will not be deterred from his missions at any cost;until a vulnerable human tempts him with a carnal pleasure he's never known before.

Accused of a crime she did not commit, Annabelle Miller has spent four years in an institution for the criminally insane. Demons track her every move, and their king will stop at nothing to have her. Zacharel is her only hope for survival, but is the brutal angel with a touch as hot as hell her salvation? Or her ultimate damnation?




Wicked Nights went in strong. With a MC attacked by a demon and put in an asylum for the criminally insane, I was drawn into the drama from page one. But it started on a downward slope after halfway, when the romance overtook plot. I liked it a lot less after that.

Annabelle is a great character, strong and feminine and gutsy (and a POC!) and I liked her a lot. I liked Zacharel too, the male main character. I wasn't really impressed with his super macho thing but that's just because I always hope for better characters. I liked how he was fairly naive and clueless in certain aspects, but hated how he got ultra possessive and dickish in parts. I could have done without the you're mine and belong to no one else spiel. Annabelle belongs to herself. Women belong to herself. Men need to understand that, and PNR writers too.

The action was great, and the fighting between demons and angels were the best parts IMHO. I thought it was pretty cool how it went into the hierachy of angels as well. But the sex scenes got tedious. I could have done with two at most, not four. After the second one I just got bored and flipped pages to the actual plot. Not to mention I read the word decadent SIX times.

I liked the action and the angels but the romance was overkill.

Characters ★
Setting/world building ★
Writing ★★



No comments:

Post a Comment