12 March 2015

Saruuh Explores NA: Reign of Shadows (Review)


Descendants: Reign of Shadows | Melissa Wright
Published: July 30th 2014
Genre: NA, Urban Fantasy
Pages: 220
Format: Ebook
Source: Purchased

Brianna can see her future, but it's the past that haunts her. Plans laid in place centuries ago are threatening not only her and her sister, but all of the Seven Lines. As the shadows plot their way to old rule, the visions shift again. Her power has led to some hard choices—and the occasional stab wound—but this set of futures holds nothing but darkness.

Unable to bear the idea of losing the footing they've so recently gained, she turns the soldiers of the Seven. But with shadows hidden among the ranks, can she overcome the path they've set in place, or is she blindly following their lead?




This is by far one of my favourite series of all time. And certainly my favourite indie author. Melissa Wright has written one of the best urban fantasy series I have ever read. I'm in love with the Descendants.

Reign of Shadows introduces us to a whole new threat, one that has been watching and waiting all through the events of Bound By Prophecy and Shifting Fates, and builds on the lore of the Shadows we first saw in book two. I didn't completely understand what they were in the second book but I have a better understanding of them now. As far as I know it, Shadows are the all-powerful beings that created the Seven Lines -Aern, Logan etc. I thought they were pretty cool. I liked the suspense of knowing they were coming, of being built up for destruction and the end of all things. I was really disappointed with the end though - it felt rushed after all the build up and the waiting. The Shadows went down much quicker and easier than I expected, and I lost track of what was happening a couple times during the climax. It was quick, and I wish it was slower, longer, the tension drawn out, but I'm still pretty happy with the end we got.

This book builds on my love of the characters, and introduces a new character for me to hate with a fiery passion (Callan needed to leave for 90% of this book, even if he was "protecting" Brianna.) Aern and Emily are super cuties and I love them, and the moments we got between them in this book, however quick and rare, I adored. (I wish there were more Aern/Emily moments in this! Actually I just want another 3 books of Aern/Emily moments!) Logan and Brianna continue to be adorable and everything I love. The way they support and strengthen each other, the absolute trust between them, the belief in each other - I love them.

The plot was probably the weakest of the three books, but there was still plenty of action and drama and danger to keep me turning pages at a rate of knots. Just wish there'd been a bit more romance and a longer ending! 

Sad to see the series end but I loved it from beginning to end! Read this now!

Characters ★
Setting/world building ★
Writing ★★

No comments:

Post a Comment