26 March 2015

Magic Study (Review)

Yelena Zaltana: Magic Study | Maria V. Snyder
Published by: Mira Books, May 16th 2008
Genre: YA, High Fantasy
Pages: 419
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased

You know your life is bad when you miss your days as a poison taster... 

With an execution order on her head, Yelena has no choice but to escape to Sitia, the land of her birth. With only a year to master her magic - or face death - Yelena must begin her apprenticeship and travels to the Four Towers of the Magician's Keep.

But nothing in Sitia is familiar. Not the family to whom she is a stranger. Not the unsettling new facets of her magic. Nor the brother who resents her return. As she struggles to understand where she belongs and how to control her rare powers, a rogue magician emerges - and Yelena catches his eye.

Suddenly she is embroiled in battle of good against evil. And once again it will be her magical abilities that will either save her life...or be her downfall.




I went into this expecting something amazing, but I didn't exactly get it ... sort of. It wasn't as good as Poison Study, although I kind of expected that - a bunch of people had said the same. But it was still so good, compared to a bunch of other high fantasies I've read recently.


This suffered badly from SBS (second book syndrome) though, and felt like it was setting everything up for the next book. I liked it - liked everything about it - but I didn't love it. I didn't exactly warm to the setting; I kinda preferred Ixia. I enjoyed the story, though, and Yelena's training and shenanigans.The characters were as good as book one (maybe the only thing that was?) Irys became pretty cool, and I love Leif, and the way Yelena was around her parents. And the fact that Opal was involved! (Opal, as in the heroine of the Glass series...)

The awesome moments for me were when Yelena was with Valek. Their chemistry and the way they interact just brings this book to life. They saved this book for me, along with Yelena's usual badassery and complexity of emotion.

I liked Magic Study, but I expected more. Still very excited for Fire Study though, because FIRE.

Characters ★
Setting/world building ★
Writing ★★



This book counts toward my Monthly Key Word challenge. 

Key words: Power (Magic)

No comments:

Post a Comment