3 February 2015

Stitching Snow (Review)

Stitching Snow | R. C. Lewis
Published by: Disney Hyperion, October 14th 2014
Genre: YA, Science Fiction, Retelling
Pages: 338
Format: Hardback
Source: Purchased

Princess Snow is missing.

Her home planet is filled with violence and corruption at the hands of King Matthias and his wife as they attempt to punish her captors. The king will stop at nothing to get his beloved daughter back—but that’s assuming she wants to return at all.

Essie has grown used to being cold. Temperatures on the planet Thanda are always sub-zero, and she fills her days with coding and repairs for the seven loyal drones that run the local mines.

When a mysterious young man named Dane crash-lands near her home, Essie agrees to help the pilot repair his ship. But soon she realizes that Dane’s arrival was far from accidental, and she’s pulled into the heart of a war she’s risked everything to avoid. With the galaxy’s future—and her own—in jeopardy, Essie must choose who to trust in a fiery fight for survival.
 




This book has triggers for rape and abuse.

I was pretty excited for this book, but for some reason I assumed it was fantasy at first. I probably automatically saw fairy tales and thought fantasy. I'm dumb. This is a true science fiction novel, with robots and spaceships and alien planets. And computer engineering!! It's super fun.

Stitching Snow is drawing a buttload of comparisons to Cinder but I felt a much stronger connection to Cress in Essie, the main character of this novel. I understand Essie and Cinder are both running from their pasts, a crown, and murderous family members but they're nothing alike. However, if you love the ladies of the Lunar Chronicles, you'll love Essie. She's like a blend of all three of them (Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress I mean.)

Now enough talking about another series. Stitching Snow is a funny, fast, yet often dark story. I love how it's humourous in many parts but doesn't hesitate to go into the darkness of humanity. Essie is at once serious and lighthearted, brave and reluctant. She doesn't want to face her past and return home but she's strong and courageous enough to do the right thing. I loved that about her. I loved Dane too, but not as much as I thought I would. I never fell for him, though I am rather fond of him. That's pretty much the only reason this isn't a five star review - I felt for the characters but I didn't fall for them, and my consuming love of a book always hinges on that.

Here's some other things I loved about this book: the unique planets, how effortlessly the settings were built without overwhelming the story, how even minor characters had personality, how high impact the action scenes were.

I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to all fans of spaceships and brave ladies.

Characters ★
Setting/world building ★
Writing ★★



This book counts towards my Fairy Tale Challenge!

Follow all my reviews on Bloglovin!

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I have ever actually read the blurb for this novel; or a review for that matter! But now I must say that I am pretty interesting in STITCHING SNOW. I like that there is parallels to The Lunar Chronicles, because those books are pretty awesome. Even though I haven't read Cress yet, the fact that you likened the MC of this book to Scarlet and Cinder is pretty high praise! I love those two girls, so I am pretty certain I will like this Essie character, too.

    I definitely know what you mean about falling for characters, and I think to well and truly love a book with a fiery burning passion, that fall really needs to be there.

    Nevertheless, I'm glad you enjoyed this one, Saruuh! I'll definitely be checking it out now :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you enjoyed this one Saruuh, I feel like it gets too many comparisons to Cinder. :/ Weren't the drones just ADORABLE?

    ReplyDelete