1 February 2015

Dark Triumph (RC Review)

His Fair Assassin: Dark Triumph | Robin LaFevers
Published by: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, April 1st 2014
Genre: YA, Historical
Pages: 400
Format: Ebook
Source: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, via Netgalley

The convent views Sybella, naturally skilled in the arts of both death and seduction, as one of their most dangerous weapons. But those assassin's skills are little comfort when the convent returns her home to the life that nearly drove her mad. And while Sybella is a weapon of justice wrought by the god of death himself, he must give her a reason to live. When she discovers an unexpected ally imprisoned in the dungeons, will a daughter of Death find something other than vengeance to live for?




Ahhh, you guys, this book!!!! Grave Mercy was off the charts of awesome but Dark Triumph was just ... essential.

My favourite thing about this series is the attention to detail. The historical elements are so effortless and genuine that it's impossible to not feel as if you're in that era, in that exact situation. It's one of those books that you see happening rather than read. The writing is just perfect. I couldn't ask for anything more in a historical novel.

But not only the writing and the scenes and tone of history, but the characters are everything. I never, in a million years, thought Sybella could live up to Ismae. It was just impossible that I could fall for her as much as I did for Ismae, but boy was I wrong. Sybella stabbed my heart out right in the beginning and she's owned it ever since. She's just so brave and broken and feral that it's hard to ignore her and even harder not to sympathise. I was riveted to see what she was capable of and where she would draw the line. 

I especially loved the way Sybella was with Beast (my darling Beast). Beast and Sybella are far from the perfect couple. They are both tortured by their pasts, living in a world of war, and starved for affection. But God are they perfect together. I was dying for them to kiss, glance longingly at each other, anything. I was needy for Beast/Sybella. BUT the romance and chemistry is very much an undertone. It's nothing to the main plot of conflict and tension and mortal peril. But it's still adorable and makes me want to squeal at every romantic scene.

This book more than lives up to its predecessor. Dark Triumph is a ruthless, blood-soaked book of determination, love, and the lengths people will go to for the people, and the duchy, that they love. Recommended to the highest degree.

Characters ★
Setting/world building ★
Writing ★★



This book counts toward my Monthly Key Word challenge. 

Key words: Bad (Dark) & End (Triumph)

2 comments:

  1. You know, I've heard so many people say the same thing about Grave Mercy vs. Dark Triumph. I started DT a couple years back because I LOVED GM, but then I had to stop DT and ever since then I keep thinking geez, I really need to get on top of this series. I agree that the attention to detail really helps bring the historical setting to life - it's especially noticeable if you listen to the audiobook. The characters are absolutely wonderful, very complex. I'm really looking forward to reading Mortal Heart too and seeing what Robin La Fevers chooses to write next :O. I'm also really happy that Beast turned out to be such a good romantic interest who's NOT good looking. YA needs many more of those. Have you read Mortal Heart yet? I've heard some people even go "MH IS THE BEST IN THE SERIES HANDS DOWN AND I LOVED THE OTHERS."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yessss you really DO need to get on top of this series. Dark Triumph is Crazy Good.

    I haven't read Mortal Heart yet and I can't get my greedy hands on it for A MONTH and it is killing me. I neeeeeeeed more of this series, but on the other hand I don't want to finish it and have none left. I really hope Robin LaFevers writes a tonne more historical YAs!!

    Thanks for commenting :)

    ReplyDelete