23 August 2014

Sworn To Transfer (Review)

Courtlight: Sworn to Transfer | Terah Edun
Published: September 17th 2013
Genre: YA, High fantasy
Pages: 255
Format: Ebook
Source: Purchased

Eighteen-year-old companion trainee Ciardis Weathervane has won the friendship of the royal heir and saved his claim to the throne. Yet her interference in the inheritance rights leaves more harm done than good. The Ameles Forest lies unprotected and its inhabitants are dying.

As humans begin to die in gruesome deaths, the Emperor dispatches the royal heir to the forests with the solution to the kith concerns. 

With enemies closing ranks in Sandrin, Ciardis can little afford to leave the city’s nest of vipers to take on a new task. But she’s given no choice when her loyalty to the crown and courts are called into question. 

To keep the Companions’ Guild happy and the favor of the Imperial Court, Ciardis will be tested in frightening new ways, especially when she’s faced with an obstacle that could risk the lives of her friends and the family she never thought she had.

This second novel continues the story of Ciardis Weathervane from Sworn To Raise.


I really enjoyed this book's predecessor Sworn to Raise: it was a pleasant surprise, a great mix of characters and action and world building, so I was excited to read its sequel. While I didn't enjoy Sworn to Transfer as much as the first book, but there was still a lot to like.

It took me a while to really get into this book, and I read very little at a time as a result. The beginning felt like it was going through the motions, it was slow paced, and confusing at points - I still don't understand what part the Duchess had to play in the overall story, but I do enjoy the drama of it all. The one thing I will say is this: not enough Sebastian. For me the first book hinged on the relationship between Ciardis and Sebastian and while we did get some moments of their friendship in the second book, I craved more.

Sworn To Transfer really picked up for me when Ciardis went into the forest. I actually preferred the kith characters to the human ones in this book, because they were so intriguing and different. I'd like to read more about those in future books. Especially Julius and Alexandra. I'm not sure what the Shadow society or whatever they were called brought to the story either, but I'm guessing they'll be important later.

All in all a great blend of fantasy, mystery, and action. Just not enough Sebastian to please me (there will never be enough of that boy to please me tbh. I love him so.) 

Characters ★
Setting/world building ★
Writing Style ★



1 comment:

  1. Boooo, I really hate when you love the first in a series and then the seconds mediocre. Ha, yeah, when there's not enough interaction with your favourite characters. Like, I loved Jennifer Rush's Erased ;) BUT I WANTED MORE CAS. HE'S FREAKING ADORABLE AND THERE WASN'T ENOUGH OF HIM. :(

    ReplyDelete