12 August 2014

Cinder (Review)

The Lunar Chronicles: Cinder | Marissa Meyer
Published by: Puffin, January 5th 2012
Genre: YA, Science Fiction
Pages: 387
Format: Paperback
Source: Bought

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.



You know those books that everyone loves, and you reaaaaally want to love but aren't sure if you will? This was one of those books for me, and I am extra happy after the mediocrity of Wither and Shadow & Bone to say that Cinder lives up to the hype.


It's a retelling of Cinderella like none you've read before, and I'm thoroughly in love with it. It was a slow burn, and took a while for me to fully appreciate its complexities but once I was proper drawn into it, I was reading at a rate of knots and devouring every last word. Marissa Meyer is a master storyteller. I don't know how she managed to take a lifeless tale such as Cinderella and inject so much excitement and life into it. Cinderella isn't one of my favourite fairy tales, not by a long shot, but Cinder manages to be completely unrecognisable while still retaining the original tale.

Cinder(ella) is a mechanic, is tortured and brave and badass. A mechanic. A cyborg. And the crap she's had to endure from her adopted family is on the top side of extreme. I admired her a lot. I didn't love her, though, which held back the rating on this. I adore Kai, and really did like Cinder but I didn't love them together. Maybe this will change with the next books.

I did love the story, though, and the world, and the villain. I especially loved the politics. I need more books like this and I can't wait to get a hold of the next two books.

Characters ★
Setting/world building ★
Writing Style ★




1 comment:

  1. Yeah, this series is the same for me, I REALLY want to read it because of the hype but then I really don't want to read it because of the hype. I don't want to hate it, so my plan? Don't read it. BUT I WANT TO. :( I caved and bought it a while ago though, one step closer. Cinderella isn't my favourite either, I don't think I even have a favourite. THE HORROR.

    ReplyDelete