22 May 2014

The Fearless (ARC Review)

The Fearless | Emma Pass
Published by: Random House Children's Publishers, April 24th 2014
Genre: YA, Science fiction, Dystopia
Pages: 400
Format: Ebook
Source: Random House Children's Publishers, via Netgalley

The Fearless. An army, powered by an incredible new serum that makes each soldier stronger, sharper, faster than their enemies. Intended as a force for good, the serum has a terrible side-effect - anyone who takes it is stripped of all humanity, empathy, love. And as the Fearless sweep through the country, forcing the serum on anyone in their path, society becomes a living nightmare.

Cass remembers the night they passed through her village. Her father was Altered. Her mother died soon after. All Cass has left is her little brother - and when Jori is snatched by the Fearless and taken to their hellish lair, Cass must risk everything to get him back.




I treated this book pretty terribly in the beginning. I'd seen a lot of negative reviews and it clouded my judgement. The book started with a pretty high impact opener, and then I got bored in the following chapters and abandoned it for a while. Bad move. As soon as I picked it back up again, The Fearless got awesome and intense and action-packed.

The Fearless is a unique dystopia, created by a drug given to soldiers to combat PSTD that went bad and erased all emotions altogether, making them into remorseless killers. Cass and her family, to escape the Fearless, isolated themselves on an island community cut off from the rest of the world. That is until a Fearless manages to get onto the island and kidnaps Cass's brother, forcing her to leave her protected home and cross the country in search of her brother - along with a rogueish boy who she may or may not be able to trust.

The first thing I loved about this book was the setting. UKYA makes me so very happy. I get really tired of reading about American cities I've never been to, and at this point I've read books set in so many of them that each US city becomes a blur of the same. But The Fearless? It's settings were wonderful and familiar and I felt the full, haunting effect of the dystopia because of it. I could really, for the first time, imagine my world overrun and ruined.

The characters were pretty standard, except for them being British. I loved Myo being Scottish though. I've only ever read one Scottish love interest before, and Myo had a lot to live up to. Which he sorta did and sorta didn't. What I liked about him was his secret turmoil, his loyalty and love for his sister, and the fact that he'd go to the ends of the earth to find her. Other than that I wasn't really fussed, or attached. Cass was your standard heroine, ballsy and iron willed. I liked her well enough to enjoy the story. My favourite character was, quite predictably, the dog. Lochie. What a sweetheart.

I really liked The Fearless, and a lot more than I expected to. The combination of the unique dystopic threats and the English setting made it a book I'll not soon forget.

Characters 
Setting/world building 
Writing Style ★★


No comments:

Post a Comment