11 May 2014

My Soul To Take (Review)

Soul Screamers: My Soul to Take | Rachel Vincent
Published by:Mira Ink, January 1st 2011
Genre: YA, Paranormal, Mythology
Pages: 345
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased

Something is wrong with Kaylee Cavanaugh...

She can sense when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest boy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about the dark forces behind Kaylee's power than she does.

And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason and only Kaylee knows who'll be next, she realises that finding a boyfriend is the least of her worries!




I think I've stepped into some parallel universe where books that have been over-hyped are ... really good? What? That wasn't meant to happen.

I started reading this, not expecting much, because I wanted to see how other authors handled large series plots within each book's plot. Soul Screamers is seven books, I think, so it was an obvious choice. Also paranormal and based on myth.

But holy hell I did not expect the thrill ride of awesome that this book was. It started out strong and stayed strong. There was a murder mystery, a girl learning she wasn't really human, and a real teenage romance. The relationship between Kaylee and Nash felt the most realistic of every romance I've read. I totally thought Nash would turn out to be a siren though, and kinda sad I didn't get siren!Nash.

I was hooked from the first chapter of this wonderful book and breezed through it in no time. I'm so happy I took a chance on My Soul to Save.

Characters 
Setting/world building 
Writing Style ★★


No comments:

Post a Comment