28 May 2014

Alpha Goddess (ARC Review)

Alpha Goddess | Amalie Howard
Published by: Sky Pony Press, March 4th 2014
Genre: YA, Paranormal, Mythology
Pages: 284
Format: Ebook
Source: Sky Pony Press, via Netgalley

In Serjana Caelum’s world, gods exist. So do goddesses. Sera knows this because she is one of them. A secret long concealed by her parents, Sera is Lakshmi reborn, the human avatar of an immortal Indian goddess rumored to control all the planes of existence. Marked by the sigils of both heaven and hell, Sera’s avatar is meant to bring balance to the mortal world, but all she creates is chaos. A chaos that Azrath, the Asura Lord of Death, hopes to use to unleash hell on earth.

Torn between reconciling her past and present, Sera must figure out how to stop Azrath before the Mortal Realm is destroyed. But trust doesn’t come easy in a world fissured by lies and betrayal. Her best friend Kyle is hiding his own dark secrets, and her mysterious new neighbor, Devendra, seems to know a lot more than he’s telling. Struggling between her opposing halves and her attraction to the boys tied to each of them, Sera must become the goddess she was meant to be, or risk failing, which means sacrificing the world she was born to protect.




This book had my absolute attention. A YA with Hindu Gods and Goddesses instead of classical? A POC protagonist? YES.

Well. It actually turns out this book is more of a NAH. I loved the premise, but the execution fell really short for my liking. Nothing gripped me. I found myself bored far too often while reading it and while I did actually finish the book, I didn't enjoy the beginning or end (the middle was pretty cool but not cool enough to hold the entire book) and I skimmed the last 10%.

The one thing I liked the most was Kyle - he was a different love interest, a punk for one, and he seemed really unique and likable. Well until he turned into a downright asshole and lost my affection. And Dev was just creepy as hell. I loved the way he assumed ownership of Serjana. Totally. What a great guy. (I cringed at every kiss.) 

Serjana, while having possibly the coolest name in YA, was a pretty flimsy character. And I LIKE flimsy characters, I'm all for YA heroines being realistic, ordinary people. But there was just something about her that ... never connected. I didn't really like her, or root for her, or understand her to be honest.

The plot was alright. I liked the different elements, but not a fan of the way they came together. I thought the world building was too general, too vague and as such, I couldn't vividly picture the settings at all, which hindered my enjoyment.

Alpha Goddess could have been awesome but fell short for me.

(Also what does the title even mean? What's the Alpha? IDEK)

Characters 
Setting/world building 
Writing Style ★★


No comments:

Post a Comment