24 January 2015

If I Die (Review)

Soul Screamers: If I Die | Rachel Vincent
Published by: Mira Ink, February 3rd 2012
Genre: YA, Mythology, Paranormal
Pages: 342
Format: Ebook
Source: Purchased

Scheduled to die within days, Kaylee knows her magic can't change her fate. Worse, on top of worrying about her own demise, she needs to save mortal best friend Emma from the clutches of a deadly Netherworld creature



Fair warning for spoilers. Tonnes of spoilers. All of which I will be raving about.

I completely forgive Rachel for the agony of the last book - If I Die more than satisfied my heart and left my emotions screaming in a good way. Tod and Kaylee are perfect for each other, in ways I never could have predicted from the previous books. Their relationship is such a lovely shock - it creeps up on you, but then you look back and realise you should have seen it coming from the start. I love them so goddamn much. And it explains why Tod was so cruel in that one scene in the last book - the one that left my heart with a physical ache. I can literally take any crap from any of these characters but not Tod. I never realised how important he was to me until I was hurt by him.

The rest of the characters were pretty frustrating. I started to warm to Sabine a little, got even more colder with Nash (I cannot stand him in this book; I know he's affected by Frost but he's starting to seem irredeemable), and got kinda bored of Emma (sorry, Emma.) But none of that mattered when we had Tod, perfect, unforgettable Tod. Sidenote: I fricking love Levi, he ships Tod/Kaylee so hard, don't tell me he doesn't.

My anticipation for the next book has gone through the roof. I am so goddamned excited to see where Kaylee's afterlife goes. This book, plot-wise, took Soul Screamers to a whole new level. I am so impressed and happy and kind of still in shock over Tod/Kaylee being a thing (IT'S CANON, BITCHES!)

The best book of this series by a long shot.

Characters ★
Setting/world building ★
Writing ★★



No comments:

Post a Comment