6 March 2014

The Immortal Rules (Review)

Blood of Eden: The Immortal Rules | Julie Kagawa
Published by: Mira Ink, May 4th 2012
Genre: YA, Paranormal, Post Apocalyptic
Pages: 485
Format: Paperback
Source: Purchased

To survive in a ruined world, she must embrace the darkness…

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a walled-in city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten. Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them—the vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself dies and becomes one of the monsters.

Forced to flee her city, Allie must pass for human as she joins a ragged group of pilgrims seeking a legend—a place that might have a cure for the disease that killed off most of civilization and created the rabids, the bloodthirsty creatures who threaten human and vampire alike. And soon Allie will have to decide what and who is worth dying for… again.

Enter Julie Kagawa's dark and twisted world as an unforgettable journey begins.



Do you know how happy I am right now? Hint: extremely. I have found a Kagawa book I love!! Thank God for that. I wanted to like the Iron Fey series so much but I just couldn't get into it. I HAD to love this one, since it falls into the niche I am desperate for - post apocalyptic w/ paranormal causes. This gives me hope for Talon now. Give it to me!

So first off: this book wouldn't have half as amazing as it is if it weren't for Allie. Hell that's a lot of two letter words for one sentence. Allie is the saviour and protagonist of this series, and she's so well rounded, so complex and loveable and badass and weak and vulnerable and fierce all at once. I love her SO much. I don't love Zeke. Bleh. But I adore Allie. And Kanin. Give me more Kanin, Kagawa!

The plot is intense and high impact, and though I felt it lagged around the 2/3 mark, it didn't take long for it to set back in. What I liked was that nothing was safe. As soon as you got used to one situation, setting, group of characters, Kagawa flipped it around and gave you something knew and unknown. It kept the book engaging and showed exactly who Allie was from her reactions to each new thing.

I loved it. Really loved it. I'm only marking down because I didn't connect with Zeke. Also for torturing my poor baby Kanin. Not cool!


Characters 
Setting/world building 
Writing Style ★★


4 comments:

  1. I didn't connect with Zeke either in this one, although I like him a lot more in The Eternity Cure (and I so hope you don't think that was a spoiler). I hope you'll like that one too.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I hope he grows on me!! I kinda liked him but *shrugs* I can take him or leave him. Looking forward to The Eternity Cure though, and hoping I can find time to read it next week!

      ~Saruuh

      Delete
  2. Yes! Though, this was the first Kagawa book I tired, (I tried the Iron Fey after this and couldn't get into it either, I tried, twice. Wasn't happening.) but loved this one. But, Allie is badass (she also get's *cough* a lot more badass in The Eternity Cure (and really, by the end of that one, you'll know why she'll become even more badass in The Forever Song) Buuuut shame, I loved Zeke (maybe not in the beginning, but by the end he grew on me. And I'm saying nothing about The Eternity Cure him. BUT GO READ IT, ASAP.) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure about this around the halfway mark but you were right, it is SO GOOD. I will forever trust your judgement!

      I'm gonna read the next book ASAP! :D But I've been bullied into reading Daughter of Smoke & Bone and the Grisha series by a friend so I'm reading those first. But as soon as I'm done, I'm going straight for Blood of Eden 2, and I'm v excited for it.

      ~Saruuh

      Delete