31 March 2014

The Castle Behind Thorns (ARC Review)

The Castle Behind Thorns | Merrie Haskell
Published by: Katherine Tegen Books, May 27th 2014
Genre: MG, Fantasy
Pages: 336
Format: Ebook
Source: Katherine Tegen Books via Edelweiss

A magical adventure set in an enchanted castle that is sure to appeal to fans of Gail Carson Levine, Karen Cushman, and Shannon Hale

When Sand wakes up alone in a long-abandoned castle, he has no idea how he got there. The stories all said the place was ruined by an earthquake, and Sand did not expect to find everything inside-from dishes to candles to apples-torn in half or slashed to bits. Nothing lives here and nothing grows, except the vicious, thorny bramble that prevents Sand from leaving. Why wasn't this in the stories?

To survive, Sand does what he knows best-he fires up the castle's forge to mend what he needs to live. But the things he fixes work somehow better than they ought to. Is there magic in the mending, granted by the saints who once guarded this place?

Unexpectedly, Sand finds the lost heir, Perrotte, a girl who shares the castle's astonishing secrets and dark history. Putting together the pieces-of stone and iron, and of a broken life-is harder than Sand ever imagined, but it's the only way to gain their freedom, even with the help of the guardian saints.

With gorgeous language and breathtaking magic, Merrie Haskell's The Castle Behind Thorns tells of the power of memory and story, forgiveness and strength, and the true gifts of craft and imagination.




Wonderful, lush, and thought-provoking, The Castle Behind Thorns is a must read for fantasy fans of all ages.

I got a galley of this because (1) I'm an impulse requester and (2) I've been yearning for a brilliant middle grade fantasy book to blow me away for SO LONG. I was on the fence with Percy Jackson and never quite managed to finish Liesl & Po (Lauren Oliver), so I wanted to broaden my middle grade reading and find something to blow me away.

And this book did not disappoint. The Castle Behind Thorns is everything I hoped it would be - enchanting, eerie at times, and undeniably cute. Sand, the main character, upon waking in a broken castle with no way out, begins to mend things, putting the castle back into place one small thing at a time. I loved that about both Sand and the story - the recurring theme that broken things don't have to stay that way, that there's always a way to repair anything if you try hard enough and have faith in what you're doing.

Perrotte was also a cutie, a brave and headstrong character who is easy to love and admire. Her back story, the magic tied up in life and death, was what made this book extra special. So many important messages! And in such a fantastical book, with so many wonderful and creepy things!

I loved it.

Characters 
Setting/world building 
Writing Style ★★


1 comment:

  1. I'm not really into middle grades, though I did read one not so long ago and loved it, but I think I have to be in the mood for something like it to enjoy it. But when I am, I'll check it out, sounds great. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete