6 May 2013

The Demon's Lexicon (Review)

The Demon's Lexicon: The Demon's Lexicon | Sarah Rees Brennan
YA, Urban Fantasy

Characters ★★★★★
Setting 
★★★★
Writing Style ★★★★

Review:

"Witty, Dark, and Moving" - Cassandra Clare

The quote on the cover really says it all about this book. 

The Demon's Lexicon has the same enthralling, magical quality about it as The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater - one of my all time favourite books. From the first chapter I was drawn into an intriguing world of demons and magicians, where darkness and danger follows the lives of Nick and Alan, two boys who live every day fighting demons and on the run from a magician's threat.

The characters are really what make this book, and I fell head over depressing heels in love with Nick, the aloof threatening boy who feels no fear, pity, or remorse for his actions. I have a fetish for horribly broken boys, but this book went above and beyond. I didn't fall for a broken boy, oh no, I fell for a boy yet to be broken. And the ending of this book makes me want to tear it into tiny little pieces. Damn you Sarah Rees Brennan for dumping that torrent of emotions on me without warning.

I'm finding it hard to describe this book without going into detail about the funny and intelligent characters, the unique urban fantasy setting, the often unnerving events that fill these pages, and the brilliant genius that is Sarah Rees Brennan. This is the first book of hers I've read, not counting TBC #1, but as soon as I have money I'm buying everything else she's written. I will definitely be reading the rest of the series. God help me.

Overall: ★★★★☆ (4.5 stars)

P.S. How much nicer is the UK cover? Unlucky US, unlucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment