9 August 2015

The Accident Season (DNF Review)

The Accident Season | Moira Fowley-Doyle
Published by: Corgi ChildrensAugust 18th 2015
Genre: YA, Magical Realism
Pages: 288
Format: Ebook
Source: Corgi Childrens, via Netgalley

It's the accident season, the same time every year. Bones break, skin tears, bruises bloom.
The accident season has been part of seventeen-year-old Cara's life for as long as she can remember. Towards the end of October, foreshadowed by the deaths of many relatives before them, Cara's family becomes inexplicably accident-prone. They banish knives to locked drawers, cover sharp table edges with padding, switch off electrical items - but injuries follow wherever they go, and the accident season becomes an ever-growing obsession and fear.

But why are they so cursed? And how can they break free?


This is one of those books that I never really got into. I liked parts (the mystery around Elsie) but hated others (the lack of answers about Elsie and how dragged out it was.) From the start, I never really clicked with any of the characters, but I kept with it because I've heard it's LGBT+ and assumed there was a f/f relationship, which, if you squint, there sort of maybe might be one, but it's only a kiss and one written as playful and meaning nothing. But I've only read the first 54% so maybe this changes later. Mostly the main character seems to be in love with her stepbrother, but her stepbrother seems to be in love with both the MC and her best friend at different intervals, and the best friend seems to be in love with everyone. Nothing was clear cut.

The main thing that made me DNF was I just got tired of waiting - waiting for the accident season to be explained, waiting for answers about Elsie, waiting for the main characters to figure out Elsie was dead (still no confirmation on this at 54% but I'm assuming she's a ghost), waiting for the romance to become romance, waiting for any clue this was a LGBT+ inclusive book, waiting for everything to kick in and for the story to get better, the magical element to become as prevalent as the realism. 

Mostly I got bored of waiting, and the characters weren't enough for me to keep going. Sorry, The Accident Season, but you just weren't enough for me.

DNF at 54%

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you couldn't connect with this one Saruuh! I haven't been able to find a good f/f coupling in YA at all. They're always a tease and nothing more happens. ):

    Thanks for your honesty!

    ReplyDelete