26 August 2015

Eden's Wish (ARC Review)

Eden's Wish | M. Tara Crowl
Published by: Disney HyperionSeptember 1st 2015
Genre: MG, Fantasy, Jinn
Pages: 272
Format: Ebook
Source: Disney Hyperion, via Netgalley

All twelve years of Eden's life have been spent in an antique oil lamp. She lives like a princess inside her tiny, luxurious home, but to Eden,the lamp is nothing but a prison. She hates being a genie. All she wants, more than anything, is freedom.

When Eden finds a gateway to Earth inside the lamp, she takes her chance. In a moment, she's entered the world she loves. And this time, she won't be sent back after three wishes.

Posing as the new kid at a California middle school, Eden revels in all of Earth's pleasures-but quickly learns that this world isn't as perfect as she always thought it was. Eden soon finds herself in the middle of a centuries-old conflict between powerful immortals. A ruthless organization run by a former genie will stop at nothing to acquire the lamp and its power-including hurting Tyler and Sasha, the mortal friends who have given Eden a home. To save her friends-and protect the magic of the lamp-Eden will have to decide once and for all where she belongs.
 


My quest for the Jinn book of my heart continues...

I liked Eden's Wish. It wasn't exactly as I hoped it'd be, but it was very cute and I enjoyed it. It seemed to take a while to get going, into the main plot with the Electric and the loyal genies (which actually felt less important to the book than the friendships Eden made, which wasn't great), but I liked Eden enough to continue. This book never had that magical middle grade feel to me, and I wasn't over-fussed on Tyler and Sasha, but there was still a lot about it that I liked - mostly Eden and her wonder at everything on Earth, and how headstrong she was. I never proper loved it but I'd still recommend. If you're looking for a sweet Genie story, definitely read Eden's Wish.

Characters 
Setting/world-building 
Writing 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds adorable. I love the illustration on the cover too, I hope the final cover is that cute.

    ReplyDelete