18 August 2015

Polaris (ARC Review)

Avalon: Polaris | Mindee Arnett
Published by: Balzer+BrayJanuary 20th 2015
Genre: YA, Science Fiction, Space
Pages: 432
Format: Ebook
Source: Balzer+Bray, via Edelweiss

Jeth Seagrave and his crew of mercenaries are pulled into one last high-stakes mission in this breathtaking sequel to Mindee Arnett’s fascinating and fast-paced sci-fi thriller Avalon.

Jeth Seagrave and his crew are on the run. The ITA, still holding Jeth’s mother in a remote research lab, is now intent on acquiring the metatech secrets Jeth’s sister Cora carries inside her DNA, and Jeth is desperate to find the resources he needs to rescue his mother and start a new life outside the Confederation. But the ITA is just as desperate, and Jeth soon finds himself pursued by a mysterious figure hell-bent on capturing him and his crew—dead or alive.

With nowhere to run and only one play left, Jeth enters into a bargain with the last person he ever thought he’d see again: Daxton Price, the galaxy’s newest and most fearsome crime lord. Dax promises to help Jeth, but his help will only come at a price—a price that could mean sacrificing everything Jeth has fought for until now.

The conclusion to the story Mindee Arnett began in her acclaimed novelAvalon, Polaris is a dangerous journey into the spaces between power and corruption, life and death, the parts of ourselves we leave behind, and the parts we struggle to hold on to.
 


I loved Avalon, LOVED it, so I heaped a bunch of expectations on this book. I think that's why I put it off for so long. And Polaris actually wasn't quite as good as the first book. But I did still love it, for the characters, the spaceships, and the plots. 

What I loved:

- The romance, oddly enough. I was never overly fussed on Sierra in Avalon but I really liked her in this book, and I loved her and Jeth's relationship, his she was a kind of moral compass for him.

- Avalon and Polaris themselves. I think they're probably my favourite ships in all YA sci fi.

- The relationships between all the crew and how they grew

- The high octane plot, the crazy high stakes, and the plot. Everything was action packed and thrilling and felt totally life or death. This series is one of the most exciting I've read.

What I didn't like:

- Empyria and the Pyreans. I mean, like, what the fuck? This was just so bizarre and weird and I didn't know what to do during those chapters. It just didn't fit in with the rest of this serious sci-fi series. It cheapened the ending for me.

- Marian. I'm not a fan of her at all and preferred everything when she was gone.

Characters 
Setting/world-building 
Writing 

No comments:

Post a Comment