18 July 2014

YALC and London.

I don't usually post about my life outside of blogging and books, but this just had to be blogged about. Also it's partially about books because 1) I can't help myself and buy a tonne of books whenever I go away, and 2) YA lit convention!!

click photos to make bigger :)

Last weekend, I went to London for London Film and Comic Con, which just happened to have another con inside the con specifically for books. There were book stalls, lots of authors signing (Rainbow Rowell's and Darren Shan's queues were ridiculous. Kinda glad I'm not a huge fan of them now), publishers giving away swag like postcards, samplers, bookmarks etc. I got a super cool Skulduggery Pleasant wristband and some Angel badges!! I was exceptionally thrilled at my Iron Trial sampler.

I got books signed by Kim Curran, who was super nice and also gave me some stickers and bookmarks. It was blisteringly hot inside Earl's Court at that point, with bodies packing even more heat into a hot Summer day, so at one point I ended up fanning Kim Curran with my fan. Which was quite fun, not gonna lie. Hence the comment.



I also got my copy of The Oathbreaker's Shadow signed by Amy McCulloch, who was also really cool and nice (are all authors just really great people?). I'm pretty proud of how I stayed unnervous through both signings, and my voice didn't do that awful thing it tends to do when I meet people I admire, but I totally ran out of conversational material with Amy McCulloch. I think I may have perpetrated an awkward silence :( Sorry Amy!

I also bought Sinner, Idols, and The Lovely & The Lost, and went inside the fancy new Foyles flagship because I have absolutely no self control when it comes to books. These are all the new books I came home with:

that book right on the top was from the LFCC free books stall !! Ignore my messy wall.

There were also talks and workshops going on at YALC, though I didn't go to any of them because I didn't have time, but I bought so many things at the actual LFCC, had photos with cosplayers (ARROW!!), visited the popup Sherlock set, and almost had a photoshoot with Natalie Dormer - she cancelled.


All in all a really great con and a fun, if way too hot, weekend. And here's some bonus tourist photos:




Did any of you go to YALC or LFCC? Who did you get to meet?

~Saruuh

No comments:

Post a Comment