30 July 2014

Sticks, Stones & Dragon Bones (DNF mini review)

Sticks, Stones, & Dragon Bones | Evelyn Ink
Published by: Spindelay Publishing/SelfDecember 31st 2012
Genre: MG, Fantasy
Pages: 200
Format: Ebook
Source: Bought

A door that leads nowhere…
a key to open it.
A map of a land that doesn’t exist,
and a monster that does.


Four sisters; a hypochondriac scientist, a mordant writer, and two feisty twins aspiring to be pirates, set off to retrieve their eldest sister who has been kidnapped into an unknown world. The sisters must work together to outwit the monster Brakkus, face their fears, and unravel the clues of an ominous prophecy…


“Follow the river of blood and you will find a coffin of leaves... You will find her in the clutches of two great forces seeking power. They both prowl behind curtains of violence, but one can deliver only evil and the other, possible freedom. The one you seek is in the jaws of the deliverers, but you must hurry, for like meat thrown to dogs she will be ripped apart.”


I bought this because it was an indie middle grade, and I've been wanting to read a lot more middle grade. Also supporting lesser known authors doesn't hurt. But I knew immediately that I wasn't gonna hack the full book. The language was choppy, the sentences didn't flow at all and I feel like MG books need to flow to suck you into the magic. The story might be fun and wondrous but I can't get past the writing. Which is a shame, because I was hoping for something special.

This is the first indie book I've read, that actually reads like an indie book. Milestone, I guess?

DNF at 12%


1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I don't really read MG, not really my type of read (though I really want to read Percy Jackson soon) and I read The Eighth Day which was pretty awesome for a MG, it really flowed well (and totally agree with that- they need to) otherwise it just doesn't work. Shame though! :(

    ReplyDelete