11 July 2014

The Queen of The Tearling (ARC Review)


The Queen of The Tearling: The Queen of The Tearling | Erika Johansen
Published by: Bantam Press, July 17th 2014
Genre: NA, Epic Fantasy
Pages: 432
Format: Ebook
Source: Random House UK & Bantam Press, via Netgalley


Kelsea Glynn is the sole heir to the throne of Tearling but has been raised in secret by foster parents after her mother - Queen Elyssa, as vain as she was stupid - was murdered for ruining her kingdom. For 18 years, the Tearling has been ruled by Kelsea's uncle in the role of Regent however he is but the debauched puppet of the Red Queen, the sorceress-tyrant of neighbouring realm of Mortmesme. On Kelsea's 19th birthday, the tattered remnants of her mother's guard - each pledged to defend the queen to the death - arrive to bring this most un-regal young woman out of hiding...

And so begins her journey back to her kingdom's heart, to claim the throne, earn the loyalty of her people, overturn her mother's legacy and redeem the Tearling from the forces of corruption and dark magic that are threatening to destroy it. But Kelsea's story is not just about her learning the true nature of her inheritance - it's about a heroine who must learn to acknowledge and live with the realities of coming of age in all its insecurities and attractions, alongside the ethical dilemmas of ruling justly and fairly while simply trying to stay alive...


Queen of The Tearling was both everything I expected and the complete opposite of what I wanted. I have a lot of conflicted opinions about it, hence the huge review. This book is a sweeping high fantasy, with a girl rising to rulership of a corrupt kingdom and dealing with all the consequences of putting said kingdom right. 

HOWEVER. For most of the book, it just plods along at a snail's pace. Stuff happens, but it doesn't really feel like much is happening, to me at least. Kelsea didn't even make it to her castle (keep) until 30% into the book, at which point I knew a lot of back story about the world, but little else. It meandered on in the same way, all the way to the end.

I couldn't seem to read more than 10% in one go, which averaged about 40 pages, though it felt like I was reading double that amount. The book itself had the feel of something about 600+ pages long. Along with that, I think my main problem with Queen of The Tearling was its lack of threat. Sure, there was a looming war on the horizon but it felt distant, impersonal. There were no real stakes, and because of that the book felt flat. 

Don't get me wrong, there were aspects I loved - like the world. Johansen did a great job setting up the Tearling and Mortmesne, despite the often winding info dumps. It was unique and fascinating, with a seat of corruption and evils as deep as hell. It was really cool to see mentions of things that exist here (Grimm's fairy tales, for example), to put together the pieces that Tearling was a land separate from ours, but still very much in the same world. I even liked the characters. Kelsea is alright, a decent enough main character, but I adore Mace, her guard. If the book was just about him doing whatever it is he does every day, I think it would have been 100% more exciting.

I liked this book, but there just wasn't enough in it for me to really enjoy reading it. I finished it, but that was a mix of determination and love of the Mace (and Mace is the only reason this isn't a 2.5 star rating.) I wish there'd been more of Mortmesne, more immediate threats, and less of the long stretches of information. All in all, an okay epic fantasy, but not recommended for people looking for adventure, action, or a fast pace.

Characters ★
Setting/world building ★
Writing Style ★★



The Queen of the Tearling is destined to be a fantasy classic. Johansen’s writing is assured, confident and thrilling. I can’t wait for the next book. 
AMY McCULLOCH, author of The Oathbreaker’s Shadow

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I think I'd find it boring too. I mean, yay for the awesome world building and that but if not much is going on and you feel like it's dragging even though you've only read a little chunk of it, then nope. I'm done. So yay for pushing through it and actually finishing it, you deserve a treat! I prescribe a good book. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought five books this weekend and I know 3 of them are going to be REALLY good so presciption totally met! :D

      Delete