26 June 2013

The Demon's Lexicon reread

Or what I like to cheerfully refer to as Snippets of Agony. Alternatively: Snippets of Absolute Crippling Heartbreak. But Snippets of Agony has a nice ring to it.

I didn't intend to make a post like this, but while I was rereading and attacking The Demon's Lexicon with sticky notes I came across horrible heartbreaking foreshadowing, and I thought - hey! I'll blog this. So if you want to spend your night rolling around the floor, weeping and overcome with demon feelings (And let's be real - who doesn't?!) enjoy this post!

I'll start with something mild.

[about Jamie]
"I know this guy," Nick said. "He's harmless."
"Sure?" Alan asked, squinting behind his glasses.
"Sure," Nick said. "James Crawford. Trust me, if he was a magician, he'd be able to defend himself at school. He's harmless. He's useless."


My note on this said 'Yeahhh, you sure about that, Nick?"

"That was the stupid birds."
"They're very intelligent, actually," Alan told him as if he was under the impression Nick cared at all. [...] "If you catch them young, you can teach them to talk."
"I don't see what the big deal about that is," Nick said. "I can talk."
[...] "Well, I caught you young too. Anyway I think a raven might have been easier-"

And you cry and your tears are Alan teaching Nick how to talk.

[about demons]
"They are very different from us. It's hard to tell, but some people think ..." Alan's voice softened, and he admitted, "I think - that they can love."

Alan taught Nick to love, but Nick's so stupid he never realises it, and Alan just wants to know he's loved.
I JUST CAN'T WITH THESE RYVES BROTHER.


He felt for an instant like the assembled pieces of some weapon Black Arthur had built.

Cause of death: foreshadowing.

I CAN NO LONGER GO ON.


So. Fun post, huh? You're crying, right? I'm crying maybe a little. But look on the bright side: it's a totally proven fact that SRB feeds on reader's Tears of Anguish. We've probably just fueled at least three more Sarah Rees Brennan books. You have that pain to look forward to! You're welcome, you don't have to thank me.

This series will be the death of me.


No comments:

Post a Comment