9 July 2016

Saruuh Explores NA Review: City of Fae + City of Shadows


Bear with me while I write these reviews - it's been a wild and emotional ride through City of Fae and City of Shadows, but I'm loving this series and dying for more!

London Fae: City of Fae | Pippa DaCosta
Published by: Bloomsbury SparkMay 7th 2015
Genre: NA, Urban Fantasy, Fae
Pages: 336
Format: Ebook
Source: Bloomsbury Spark, via Netgalley

From the moment Alina touches London's hottest fae superstar, breaking one of the laws founded to protect all of her kind, her fate – and the fae – close in. 

Below ground, the fae High Queen plots to claim the city as her own and places her pawns, ready for the battle to come. A battle she cannot lose, but for one small problem – Alina. There are four ancient keepers powerful enough to keep the queen in her prison. Three are dead. One remains … And to fight back, Alina risks sacrificing everything she has come to love.




I have a whole bunch of adjectives for this book. Engrossing, captivating, chilling, unsettling, romantic. Basically it's all these things and something I can't put into words, something fun and dark and exciting. City of Fae is an inventive urban fantasy story with a hella complex main character (seriously, you will not guess her secrets) and a super, super sexy love interest. Plus, Reign is sweet in moments and the maybe-romance-maybe-not between them made my heart full of love.

As well as swoony romance, there's great action and a story unlike anything I've read before. I HATE spiders but this book is so good that I stuck it out - that should tell you how much I love Alina and Reign.

This book stole my heart. One of my favourite NA books ever. I devoured it in two sittings.

Characters 
Setting/world 
Writing 


London Fae: City of Shadows | Pippa DaCosta
Published by: Bloomsbury SparkJuly 7th 2016
Genre: NA, Urban Fantasy, Fae
Pages: 326
Format: Ebook
Source: Bloomsbury Spark, via Netgalley

Alina knows she is not real – the fae queen spun an evil web to create her – but she wants more than to spend her days feeding off humans’ energy to survive. She isn’t content to lose herself in the dangerously attractive Reign. She wants a life of her own making.

Desperate to help the man who saved her life, Alina vows to find his missing sister. Alina is convinced that the general of the Fae Authority plays a part in her disappearance. She infiltrates the organisation and gets close to their strongest fighter. But while Samuel’s tormented soul and masterful touch stirs in Alina a feeling of being human again, her loyalty to Reign makes her Samuel’s enemy. Who should she trust?

This New Adult urban fantasy is packed with action and suspense and will have you yearning for more forbidden fae romance.



Okay, first off, I didn't enjoy this quite as much as City of Fae, but that was mostly because I hated the tension and upset between Alina and Reign and I suspected the HECK out of Samuel. Good call, past!me.

I turns out I quite like Kael, the general? I'm not sure when that happened, but this series is so wild and throws so many twists at me that I'm not surprised. 

The Reign/Alina hurt me so much in this book - and the ending made it a thousand times worse. I just want them to be happy and besties for life - that's not too much to ask, right? In other news, there's a new character called Nyx and I want to be her best friend.

Aside from hurt and characters, the story from City of Fae builds epically in this book. You can really tell the series is heading towards something catastrophic. The Hunt actually scare me. But my favourite thing was how the world expanded and we got to see more of the fae in London. The world building is EXCEPTIONAL - part of me wants to live in it, which is saying something when it used to have a giant spider lady in the tube tunnels!

I'm dying to get my hands on the next book!

Characters 
Setting/world ★★
Writing 

2 comments:

  1. Whoa you binged! I'm a sucker for fae and I've been trying to read more "adult" books toooo. Looks this one is getting added to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessssssss!!! I heart these books and need someone to talk to about them!!

      Delete