23 July 2016

Review: Darkness Brutal


The Dark Cycle: Darkness Brutal | Rachel A. Marks
Published by: SkyscapeJuly 1st 2015
Genre: YA, Urban Fantasy, Demons
Pages: 425
Format: Ebook
Source: Skyscape, via Netgalley

Aidan O’Linn’s childhood ended the night he saw a demon kill his mother and mark his sister, Ava, with Darkness. Since then, every three years the demons have returned to try to claim her. Living in the gritty, forgotten corners of Los Angeles, Aidan has managed to protect his sister, but he knows that even his powers to fight demons and speak dead languages won’t keep her safe for much longer.

In desperation, Aidan seeks out the help of Sid, the enigmatic leader of a group of teens who run LA Paranormal, an Internet reality show that fights demons and ghosts. In their company, Aidan believes he’s finally found a haven for Ava. But when he meets Kara, a broken girl who can spin a hypnotic web of passionate energy, he awakens powers he didn’t know he had―and unleashes a new era of war between the forces of Light and the forces of Darkness.

With the fate of humanity in his hands, can Aidan keep the Darkness at bay and accept his brilliant, terrifying destiny?
I really enjoyed Darkness Brutal. Here's what I thought:

- Interesting cast of characters, though I did confuse Lester and Jax a few times.

- I thought I'd like Rebecca the most, but I actually adore Kara. She's flawed and brave and has a tortured past, which is my type. Plus I really connect with her. 

- I loved the sibling relationship, and how they were both determined to protect each other.

- A really interesting, unique plot, with dream flashbacks and a time travel element I didn't see coming. It shouldn't have worked at all, but with it tied into the main character and their dad, it really did. I loved it!

- Bible-based religion-inspired fantasy that didn't put me off the book. It wasn't preachy or OTT, it didn't overwhelm the main story or the characters, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed those parts of the book. It made Darkness Brutal stand out and memorable.

- I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a fresh take on demons and YA urban fantasy.

Characters 
Setting/world 
Writing 

No comments:

Post a Comment