30 September 2015

Followed By Frost (ARC Review)

Followed By Frost | Charlie N. Holmberg
Published by: 47 NorthSeptember 22nd 2015
Genre: Adult, (NA?), High Fantasy
Pages: 244
Format: Ebook
Source: 47North, via Netgalley

Seventeen-year-old Smitha has the wealth, status, and beauty that make her the envy of her town—until she rejects a strange man’s marriage proposal and disastrous consequences follow. Smitha becomes cursed, and frost begins to encompass everything she touches. Banished to the hills, hunted by villagers, and chilled to the very core of her soul, she finds companionship with Death, who longs to coax her into his isolated world. But Smitha’s desire for life proves stronger than despair, and a newfound purpose gives her renewed hope. Will regrets over the past and an unexpected desire for a man she cannot touch be enough to warm Smitha’s heart, or will Death forever still it?


I LOVED The Paper Magician so I jumped at the chance to read this book, and it didn't let me down. It started off and I wasn't so sure about it - I didn't really like the MC, what I thought was the love interest was creepy and just felt wrong, but I was interested in the curse and I liked the whole nomad, wandering woman thing. This book really came to life when Smitha met Prince Imad and left her homeland to bring her snow (a curse to her own people, a gift to Imad's) to the desert. And Smitha felt to change completely as a person, which at first was strange and unrealistic, despite three years having passed, but then I just didn't care because I liked the person she'd become.

Part of this book, especially the parts in the desert towns, were what I wanted from Fire and Thorns, which just didn't satisfy me. Followed By Frost was enthralling and unique, I didn't know what was coming next, and it was a perfect slow burn of a book. It took its time, and in that time built an amazing world and made me fall so hard in love with the characters. I felt for Smitha and her constant cold, and I loved Lo (oh Lo, let me count the ways I love thee) as much as she did, feeling her heartbreak when she couldn't have him. And the world building was so subtle but detailed that I felt I could see the places Smitha went, from the harsh mountains to the castle carved into sandstone, and even the background characters felt genuine and authentic.

I probably have small niggles, like the story wrapping too perfectly, and her curse breaking seeming a bit convenient, but I do not care. I loved this story, I ADORED the characters, and I'll forgive everything else. PLUS the love interest was a MOC, and most of the characters in this book were POC too! (Sadly not the main character...) And it felt like the desert kingdom (whose name has completely slipped my mind) was based on a middle eastern country instead of that cardboard cut-out medieval English-ish world most high fantasies are nowadays.

Everything works in this book's favour, and it's one of my favourite fantasy books I've read this year, so just read it.

Characters ★
Setting/world-building ★
Writing ★★

No comments:

Post a Comment