20 May 2015

The Fog Diver (ARC Review)

The Fog Diver | Joel Ross
Published by: HarperCollinsMay 26th 2015
Genre: MG, Fantasy, Ships
Pages: 336
Format: Ebook
Source: HarperCollins, via Edelweiss

A deadly white mist has cloaked the earth for hundreds of years. Humanity clings to the highest mountain peaks, where the wealthy Five Families rule over the teeming lower slopes and rambling junkyards. As the ruthless Lord Kodoc patrols the skies to enforce order, thirteen-year-old Chess and his crew scavenge in the Fog-shrouded ruins for anything they can sell to survive.

Hazel is the captain of their salvage raft: bold and daring. Swedish is the pilot: suspicious and strong. Bea is the mechanic: cheerful and brilliant. And Chess is the tetherboy: quiet and quick…and tougher than he looks. But Chess has a secret, one he’s kept hidden his whole life. One that Lord Kodoc is desperate to exploit for his own evil plans. And even as Chess unearths the crew’s biggest treasure ever, they are running out of time...




The Fog Diver is the fantasy MG I've been looking for all year. It's fun, and it has heart and danger and complete originality. I loved it!

I'd never known a world like this before, where a fog has taken over the earth and people now live on the top of mountains. So first off, the world sucked me in, because it was just so new and interesting. And then I got attached to the characters, Hazel and Bea especially. The characters in The Fog Diver are an air-raft crew who take advantage of Chess's ability to survive the fog (because he was an experiment of Lord Kodoc's) to salvage things of worth from the ground. I loved their dynamic and their easy friendship, how they'd clearly been together years and knew each other inside out. The world of this book drew me in but the friendships kept my eyes glued to every page.

This book has everything I was looking for. There's enough fun to space out the stakes and the angst of Chess's back-story, the characters are individuals and likeable, their relationships are real, and everything about the plot is compelling. I'm so happy this book exists and I got to read it. The Fog Diver is the best middle grade I've read all year. I loved it, your kid brother or sister will love it, and I'd bet even your grandma would love it too.

Characters ★
Setting/world building ★
Writing ★★



No comments:

Post a Comment