13 October 2013

Into The Still Blue (ARC Review)


Under The Never Sky: Into The Still Blue | Veronica Rossi
YA, Science Fiction, Fantasy

Characters ★★★
Setting ★★★
Writing Style ★★★

Their love and their leadership have been tested. Now it's time for Perry and Aria to unite the Dwellers and the Outsiders in one last desperate attempt to bring balance to their world.

The race to the Still Blue has reached a stalemate. Aria and Perry are determined to find this last safe-haven from the Aether storms before Sable and Hess do-and they are just as determined to stay together.

Meanwhile, time is running out to rescue Cinder, who was abducted by Hess and Sable for his unique abilities. And when Roar returns to camp, he is so furious with Perry that he won't even look at him, and Perry begins to feel like they have already lost.

Out of options, Perry and Aria assemble a team to mount an impossible rescue mission-because Cinder isn't just the key to unlocking the Still Blue and their only hope for survival, he's also their friend. And in a dying world, the bonds between people are what matter most.

In this final book in her stunning Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi raises the stakes to their absolute limit and brings her epic love story to an unforgettable close.


REVIEW

(WARNING: This review contains mild spoilers. Do not read on if you wish to be spoiled.)

Achingly beautiful, compelling, and raw.

It's no secret that I love the Under The Never Sky trilogy, so I went into this book with a certain amount of expectations - and it surpassed them. Into The Still Blue is full of the honest, wrenching emotions of the other two books, but adds heart-pounding high stakes to the task of finding the Still Blue.

With threat from a constant Aether storm, and the Tides confined to the cave, Perry is desperate and running out of time to save his tribe. With Roar furious with him over Liv's death, and his and Aria's relationship under strain, his responsibility as Blood Lord is a heavy burden, but Perry knows what he has to do - steal enough hovers from Hess and Sable to carry the Tides and the dwellers he and Aria saved from Reverie, and rescue Cinder.

The way to the Still Blue proves treacherous and tempestuous, with more complications than anyone could foresee, more dangers for not only Cinder, but Perry, Aria, and the rest of their tribe, and a million ways to die. My heart was pounding the entire time I was reading this, either from intense emotion or the horrible feeling that something bad was going to happen. There is never a moment, nor a single page, when this book didn't suck me into the story and hold me captive.

This book, this series, is harmonious and captivating. The writing carries you on a gentle wave through beautiful passages only to dash you against the rocks at the end. I'm in awe of Veronica Rossi, and I have never loved the third book in a trilogy more than this.

This series has a way of making me feel completely lost within myself, and through reading I am sure I find myself every time. It is beautiful and terrifying and like nothing that has ever been written before. Into The Still Blue unmade me, and then remade me as a new person. I'm still reeling from it now.

I am incredibly sad, and so not ready, to part with Perry and Aria but Into The Still Blue is a fitting end for a tumultuous trilogy. I will be crying for years. 

★★★★★

{ARC courtesy of HarperCollins and Edelweiss. Thank you thank you thank you Harper Collins}

No comments:

Post a Comment