11 April 2013

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Review)

Mara Dyer: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer | Michelle Hodkin

Paranormal, Psychological Thriller, Romance

FOR FANS OF SHATTER ME BY TAHEREH MAFI

Characters ★★★★

Setting ★★
Writing Style ★★★

Review:

I flew through this book in little over a day so it's safe to say this is a gripping book. From the very first page I was drawn in and my attention and interest was held, which is a rarity for me. I'm in the habit of taking a day or two to read the first few chapters and then reading the rest at a quicker pace, but I just could not stop reading this book once I had started.

I'm not sure what it is that makes The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer so compelling - whether it's the mysterious and aloof Noah Shaw, or the broken yet incredibly strong Mara, or the way they connect and cannot seem to draw themselves away from the other. In some ways their romance is like watching a train crash; it is chaotic, and ruined, and hurtling towards destruction. But there is something haunting and beautiful and so unique about Mara and Noah together that makes one never want to put down the book until one has found out every single detail about their life together.

The paranormal element, while being essential for the plot and the reason for Mara being where she is, takes a back seat sometimes to the development of her relationship with Noah. But while I'd expect this to get tiresome it somehow doesn't, and the ghostly and often mind-fucking parts blend seamlessly with Mara's everyday life to create a story that is unnerving, moving, and so incredibly real.

Overall ★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment