10 April 2013

Percy Jackson and The Lightning Thief (Review)



Percy Jackson and The Olympians: The Lightning Thief | Rick Riordan

Fantasy, Mythology, MG

Characters ★★★☆☆
Setting ★★★☆☆
Writing Style ★★★☆☆

Review: 

For as excited as I was for this book, and as many rave reviews I've read of this series, I found myself a little disappointed when I finished it. Not because this is a terrible book because it is far from bad, but because I had expected it to blow me away and it simply didn't.

That being said, I enjoyed this book a lot in places, and the characters are very humourous and easy to like. Percy himself is an incredibly real character, and his actions are admirable as they would be challenging for anyone twice his age, let alone a twelve year old. Camp Half-Blood is an intriguing setting, with its many different yet equally colourful characters, and the urban fantasy element of Gods and Monsters being very much present within our world adds an interesting twist.

But I still find myself missing something, though I can't put my finger on what. I had expected a certain magic, but am yet to find it. Perhaps I'll discover it in the rest of the series.

All in all: a good, fun book that anyone can enjoy.

Overall ★★★☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment