25 February 2016

DNF Review: Song of Blood and Stone

Earthsinger Chronicles: Song of Blood and Stone | L. Penelope
Published by: Heartspell MediaJanuary 13th 2015
Genre: New Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Pages: 257
Format: Ebook
Source: Heartspell Media, via Netgalley



Enter an alternate 1920's world of magic and adventure in this gripping, new adult, fantasy romance... 

Orphaned and alone, Jasminda is an outcast in her homeland of Elsira, where her magical abilities are feared. When ruthless soldiers seek refuge in her isolated cabin, they bring with them a captive – an injured spy who steals her heart. 

Jack’s mission behind enemy lines nearly cost him his life but he is saved by the healing power of a mysterious young woman. Together they embark on a perilous journey straight into the heart of a centuries-old conflict. 

Thrust into a hostile society, Jasminda and Jack must rely on one another even as secrets jeopardize their bond. As an ancient evil gains power, Jasminda races to unlock a mystery that promises salvation. 

The fates of two nations hang in the balance as Jasminda and Jack must choose between love and duty to fulfill their destinies and end the war.

New Adult. Recommended for readers 17+.
I'll be honest and say I didn't finish this book, so maybe all of what I have to say is irrelevant by the end of the book.

Was super excited to read this. NA fantasy! POC! But ... it wasn't entirely what I expected.

First off let me say it's awesome for being racially diverse and brilliantly portrays racial discrimination. That's about all I liked...

What I didn't realise about this book was it was Fantasy Romance, not straight up Fantasy. Instead of the romance, I really just wanted to learn more about the magic and the world - it's apparently an alternate 1920s but it didn't seem so AT ALL. It had a definite feel of high fantasy, so I feel a bit cheated out of my alt 1920s. It definitely had some 20's inspiration but would I have been able to tell it was set on Earth in the 1920s if I hadn't read the blurb? Not even a little.

In points it reminded me of paranormal romance novel, and don't get me wrong, I love PNR - but I have to be in the right mood to read it. And since I expected a fantasy book ... it wasn't what I wanted. This is why I was hesitant to get into new adult. I loved the Descendants series so much because it blended what I love about both adult and YA but didn't sex everything up. Song of Blood and Stone kinda ... did. There were awkward periods of lusting that interrupted what would have been a nice, realistic romance, and there was a sex dream which made me cringe horribly. This really put me off the interesting world and story.

Not to mention this one line that made me put the book down and say "what the fuck???" out loud:

Her smooth skin was a confectioner's delight. His stomach growled. When was the last time he'd eaten?

Not nearly as good as I'd hoped, but if you're looking for a unique and diverse romantic fantasy, definitely give this a shot! (Just adjust your expectations from regular fantasy.)

DNF @ 38%

No comments:

Post a Comment