29 July 2015

The October Faction, vol 1 (ARC Review)

The October Faction, volume 1 | Steve Niles & Damien Worm
Published by: IDW PublishingAugust 11th 2015
Genre: Graphic Novels, Gothic, Supernatural, Thriller
Pages: 128
Format: Ebook
Source: IDW, via Netgalley


The creative team behind Monster & Madman would like to introduce you to the ongoing adventures of retired monster-hunter Frederick Allan and his family… which include a thrill-killer, a witch, and a warlock. Because sometimes crazy is the glue that binds a family together.




October Faction has probably my favourite art of every graphic novel I've ever read. It has everything else too - iconic characters, great plot, awesome monsters -but the art is just stunning, and for some reason I can't explain, I really, really love it. It's gritty and dark, sparse with its use of light, and I want to stare at every single panel for hours because there's always so much happening, even when there isn't plot-wise.

Once I sat down and found proper time to read this, I flew through it. There's something massively compelling about the characters, that I don't even know how to describe. They're interesting, and extraordinary while retaining a sense of being so human, so normal, doing things like school and working (and, admittedly, seeing ghosts and summoning nasty things in circles painted on their bedroom floors.) Everyone has a secret, or at least that's what it feels like. How they're drawn, and written, it just feels like every character is a great mystery, and it made me never want to stop reading.

I'm pissed the volume ended because I want to know the rest of their stories.

Characters ★
Art ★
Writing ★★

No comments:

Post a Comment