5 November 2014

The Forever Song (Review)

Blood of Eden: The Forever Song | Julie Kagawa
Published by: Harlequin Teen, April 15th 2014
Genre: YA, Dystopia, Paranormal, Post Apocalyptic
Pages: 393
Format: Hardback
Source: Purchased

Vengeance will be hers.

Allison Sekemoto once struggled with the question: human or monster? With the death of her love, Zeke, she has her answer.

Monster.

Allie will embrace her cold vampire side to hunt down and end Sarren, the psychopathic vampire who murdered Zeke. But the trail is bloody and long, and Sarren has left many surprises for Allie and her companions - her creator Kanin, and her blood brother, Jackal. The trail is leading straight to the one place they must protect at any cost - the last vampire-free zone on Earth, Eden. And Sarren has one final, brutal shock in store for Allie. 

In a ruined world where no life is sacred and former allies can turn on you in one heartbeat, Allie will face her darkest days. And if she succeeds, her triumph will be short-lived in the face of surviving forever alone.

THE FINAL HUNT IS ON.




WHY does this series have to end? It could easily have gone on for another three books. I don't care if the Eden story has wrapped up, give me three books of the trials of getting the cure out there. Give me three books of Jackal sitting around insulting people. Actually, you know I'd rather have the latter. Seriously, gimme.

This series is utterly devastating, thrilling, and punches you in the stomach at every given opportunity. Julie Kagawa doesn't miss a chance to throw in something high impact, bloody and violent, or emotionally charged. I love almost everything about this series, and this book, and were I invested in the relationship between Allison and Zeke I would have literally no issue with it whatsoever.

This final book builds on the wreckage of The Eternity Cure, pushes everyone (especially me) to their breaking point, and drags you around an emotionally draining maze of a plot. Avoid at all costs (but seriously - read this series.)

I LOVE this series, and my love of it kinda snuck up on me. I'm so upset that it's over, that Allison will have no more adventures, no more revengendas. I'm not entirely ready to say goodbye to these characters. (So please, Julie, give me a Jackal spinoff. We all know you're not opposed to writing spinoffs *looks pointedly at the iron fey*)

Characters ★
Setting/world building ★★★
Writing ★★


--



"'No one gets to decide what kind of monster I am but me.'"

"'You cannot stop it, little bird, You can only beat your wings against the bars of your cage, and you don't even realise you are trapped.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment