3 December 2013

Top Ten books of 2013

I've read some amazing books this year (and some terrible ones). For me, this has been the best year for books and for reading. I first got into mass reading, as I like to call it, last July, so 2013 has been my first full year and my first time venturing into reviewing. Some of my favourite books of all time have been released this year, and others I've only recently discovered.



Icons | Margaret Stohl

My first ever review copy, and the book that made me fall head over heels for Margaret Stohl. Icons is brilliant, emotional, and heart-pounding. I adore Dol, Lucas, Ro, and Tima. And Fortis, especially Fortis. I'm itching for the sequel, Idols.

Avalon | Mindee Arnett

So this isn't released until January but I got my eager hands on a review copy courtesy of Balzer + Bray. Avalon is compelling high-stakes science fiction, with everything you could possibly want in a novel. I can't wait until it's released and I can hold an Actual Copy in my hands.

Gameboard of The Gods | Richelle Mead

I went out on a limb with this one. I love Vampire Academy, so I was willing to read anything this genius of a woman has written. But I was blown away by Gameboard of The Gods. It was a huge book, in terms of content, not size. It's imaginative and cautionary, science fiction with paranormal elements that will capture your imagination. The Immortal Crown is released next May and I need it. Desperately.

Angelfall | Susan Ee

I only recently read this book, and its sequel World After, but I was drawn in by the post-apocalyptic setting, the deadly angels, and the sheer force and determination of Penryn. Raffe being heavenly attractive doesn't hurt either. If you haven't yet read Angelfall and you're a fan of fantasy, dystopia, or post-apocalyptic novels, read it. Trust me.

Wicked Lovely | Melissa Marr

I read Wicked Lovely on a whim. I didn't expect much of it, but it had a pretty cover and I was feeling whimsical. I did no by any means expect the dark tale within, or the incredibly developed characters, or the faerie politics. Nor the hot tattooed guy, to be honest. I need to clear space in my schedule to finish this series!

The Raven Boys | Maggie Stiefvater

*sighs dreamily* Oh, The Raven Boys. Maggie's lyrical writing convinced me to read this, as I was in a huge reading slump after being devastated by The Scorpio Races, but the boys themselves, and Blue, made me love this book. The characters are so unique, so honest and raw that it's impossible not to love them. Also it's about a sleeping Welsh king and we all know I love Welsh men.

Altered | Jennifer Rush

Altered was a book I read because I'd heard a lot of hype about it. Tonnes of people seemed to love it, so I downloaded it. It took me a while to get around to reading it but when I did I was pleasantly surprised. Genetic enhancements, four boys locked in a lab, and secrecy surrounding it all. I was in love from the very beginning. Anna was pretty kickass too.

Reboot | Amy Tintera

Same situation as with Altered - I heard a lot of good things, decided to read it, and was shocked to fall in love. Wren is probably my favourite protagonist of the year. She's pretty amazing and entirely unique. Reboot has everything I love in one book. Eagerly awaiting book two.

Unravel Me | Tahereh Mafi

Aaron Warner. Enough said.


Champion | Marie Lu

Champion was the devastating final book in my favourite trilogy of all time. It hurt a hell of a lot but it was the perfect ending for Day and June,. I'm only sad that it's the end, that I don't get to read any more of their story.

~

2013 has been a crazy good year for books and I'm hoping 2014 will be even better. There's some incredible books coming out next year, some of which I've been lucky enough to read. And if they're any indication, half of my year will be spent compulsively flicking pages and tapping my e-reader. Looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment