30 March 2016

ARC Review: The Mirror King

The Orphan Queen: The Mirror King | Jodi Meadows
Published by: Katherine TegenApril 5th 2016
Genre: YA, High Fantasy
Pages: 544
Format: Ebook
Source: Katherine Tegen Books, via Edelweiss

Wilhelmina has a hundred enemies.

HER FRIENDS HAVE TURNED. After her identity is revealed during the Inundation, Princess Wilhelmina is kept prisoner by the Indigo Kingdom, with the Ospreys lost somewhere in the devastated city. When the Ospreys’ leader emerges at the worst possible moment, leaving Wil’s biggest ally on his deathbed, she must become Black Knife to set things right. 

HER MAGIC IS UNCONTROLLABLE. Wil’s power is to animate, not to give true life, but in the wraithland she commanded a cloud of wraith mist to save herself, and later ordered it solid. Now there is a living boy made of wraith—destructive and deadly, and willing to do anything for her.

HER HEART IS TORN. Though she’s ready for her crown, declaring herself queen means war. Caught between what she wants and what is right, Wilhelmina realizes the throne might not even matter. Everyone thought the wraith was years off, but already it’s destroying Indigo Kingdom villages. If she can’t protect both kingdoms, soon there won’t be a land to rule.

In this stunning conclusion to THE ORPHAN QUEEN, Jodi Meadows follows Wilhelmina’s breathtaking and brave journey from orphaned criminal on the streets to magic-wielding queen.

It has been two whole months since I read this book, and I know only one thing about it: it ruined me. I loved it, so so much, but it ruined me. And I've forgotten everything I wanted to ramble about it. What I did do, helpfully, was make notes, so this review is just going to be my notes, nonsensical or otherwise.

- Hella cool world. (It really is. I love Jodi's worldbuilding. It's unique and detailed and just awesome.)

- Wilhemina continues to be badass. (Seriously. S E R I O U S L Y. Total badass. One of my fave lady characters.)

- Everything that could go wrong DID go wrong. (And it was torture.)

- Tobiah/Wilhemina OTP (It took so so long but we got there. That list at the end!! *silently crying*)

- Loved James, poor James (and THAT plot twist. Hell.)

- The rebellion made things more complicated and interesting, really ramped up the stakes and the whole book

- Patrick's a dick (this was the entire note and nothing more needs to be said.)

- I even wound up feeling bad for the Wraith boy

- Emotional, deep, entertaining, with a compelling world, exploration of the consequences of magic, and characters you can't help but fall in love with

- It broke me (Into tiny, tiny James-shaped pieces.)

- I need so many more books set in this world. So many!!

Characters ★
Setting/world-building ★
Writing ★★

No comments:

Post a Comment