19 November 2013

The Pentrals (ARC Review)


The Pentrals: The Pentrals | Crystal Mack
Published by: Apologue Entertainment, November 12th 2013
Genre: YA, Science Fiction
Pages: 246
Format: Ebook 
Source: Apologue Entertainment via Netgalley (thank you!)


Picture your life without free will. 

No choice. No voice. No personal direction. 

For 17 years, it's the only path I've known. Always a follower, never in control, I am an afterthought, burying my impulses as I bend to the whims of another. I dream of someone taking notice-of falling in love and being kissed. But I probably never will. 

My name is Antares. I am a Shadow.

Deep in a secluded canyon lies Talline, a metropolis of mirrors filled with forces called Pentrals that outline our very existence. Antares, Pentral Class Two, took an oath to act without influence—to echo without opinion. But in a cruel twist of fate, she must watch as Violet, her person, encounters a tragedy that will change both their lives forever. When Violet starts making careless choices, Antares can no longer remain a silent silhouette. She won’t allow lost friendships, broken hearts, or those mysterious menaces looking out from the glass to tear apart Violet’s very being. In doing so, Antares unknowingly crosses forbidden boundaries and ends up illuminating a darkness much deeper than her own.



REVIEW

I requested this book on Netgalley on a whim. It sounded pretty interesting and quite a bit different to books I had read, but I had low expectations. A string of bad quality galleys left me a little disheartened towards this, so I put off reading it for a while. I really wish I hadn't.

The Pentrals is a brilliant mix of sci-fi and fantasy, with a completely new premise and compelling characters. Antares is a shadow. An actual shadow. She's followed Violet her entire life, but has never felt or experienced the actions and emotions she shadows - until an accident puts her inside Violet's body, with complete control over her actions, her speech, and with an opportunity to develop feelings of her own. But while Antares is a Person, Violet is a Shadow, and if anyone discovers what has happened it could mean danger for both of them.

It took a while for me to get into this book, but once I hit the 40% mark I was in love with Antares and her story. Her attraction to Ben felt natural and was very well written. I loved how Violet and Antares were clearly different people and how that was presented in their different reactions to Thomas and Ben. And the gradual friendship between Violet and Antares was enjoyable to read. Yay for ladies being supportive and appreciative of each other instead of being bitchy.

Antares was a character unlike any other. Despite being a Pentral, Antares is one of the most human characters I've read in a while. She was flawed but willing to grow as a person, scared yet determined to act in spite of it. I loved Antares and really can't wait to read more of her story. I felt like there wasn't enough of this book. I wanted to see her go to Violet at the end and for them to interact in a completely new way and to be friends without the Pentral barrier.


The Pentrals is imaginitive and impossible to forget. Can I have book two now?

((Also it was nice to find a same sex relationship in this book, even if it was a very small part. Hoping to see more of this in the rest of the series. Also hoping Mary wakes up and we get some sweet moments with her and Sam.))


Characters ★★★★
Setting/world building ★★★★
Writing Style ★★★

★★

No comments:

Post a Comment