8 November 2013

Only Half Alive (Review)


Only Half Alive | Konstanz Silverbow
Published: September 27th 2013
Genre: Paranormal, Urban Fantasy
Pages: N/A
Format: Kindle Ebook 
Source: Purchased

The World's darkest creature will be their brightest hope!

While darkness haunts her, she craves the light. Christina is a demon, but she doesn't want to be. She is willing to sacrifice everything to change it. Only one person stands in her way, and he will stop at nothing to keep her the way she is.

The greatest battle of light vs dark threatens every living creature, a battle that could destroy all. And the demon in love will only have one chance to save everyone.


REVIEW


Let me just start by saying: best. author name. ever. Am I right?

Only Half Alive tells the story of Christina, a demon who lives her life hating what she is, working for the only man who will employ someone like her, and wishing she had a normal life.

*sigh* Christina. Never have I disliked a MC so much. There was about 20% in the middle where I actually liked her, around the time she met Riley and found out the truth about Finn, but then it was straight back to frustration. I think a lot of that stemmed from the fact that she's no naive and trusting. She meets Finn, a stranger, and trusts him after one day. He could literally have been a serial killer but she trusts him without question. I supposed (later on) that this was because of her and Finn's previous connection, but then she goes and does the same thing with her father. She just trusts him without question. Maybe I'm just extremely wary of people and slow to trust but it seemed pretty foolish to me and because of that I just couldn't connect with her.

Luckily the story made up for it. Only Half Alive is a quick, entertaining read. The plot is unique, and as frustrating as I find Christina, she isn't a carbon copy of a million other characters, which is always nice. There's a big emphasis on light and dark, and how being dark doesn't necessarily make a bad person, and I really liked the way that was explored. 

Despite the rushed, forced feel of the relationships, there are reasons for it, so it wasn't too hard to overlook how Christina went from 'Whatever' to 'Holy crap I love you' in a day. The supporting characters were interesting at times and a bit flat at others. Finn I hated at first - he just seemed way too obsessed with Christina to be healthy. But that all made sense later and I grew to actually like him. I was rooting for Finn/Christina, to be honest. Riley didn't make too much of an impression on me; he's more of a water-colour as opposed to Finn's vibrant oil.

Overall, I didn't mind it - it's certainly not the worst book I've ever read. The middle was great. I skimmed the last 30% to be honest, because I was bored, but it's a good book if you can get past Christina's insta-trust.

Characters ★★
Setting/world building ★★★
Writing Style ★★★

★★
(2.5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment