24 June 2017

Review: Harley Quinn, Volume Two


Harley Quinn: Volume Two: Joker Loves Harley  | Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti, John Timms
Published by: DC Comics, June 27th 2017
Genre: Comics, Science Fiction, Superheroes
Pages: 144
Format: Ebook
Source: DC Comics, via Netgalley

Harley Quinn's punk-rock epic concludes with a BANG. Too deep and not covered enough, their undercover mission comes to an end as the gang takes on thieves and murderers. All the laughs and some of the quacks are all here.

Taking a break comes with unexpected woes when Harley and Ivy head to the Bahamas for sun-kissed beaches and ice-cold drinks.

Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti continue their mammoth run on this New York Times best-selling title in Harley Quinn, Volume 2: Joker Loves Harley!

CollectingHarley Quinn 7-12
(4.5, should be 5 but marked down because of one comic.)

Let me just say: great story, nice plot twist, awesome canon queer Harley and Ivy, incredible supporting cast, and fun as all hell writing.

K, now I'm gonna talk about something I LOVE about this comic. The non-sexualisation of Harley.
Bear in mind I've read Suicide Squad Vol 1 recently and got kinda pissed about Harley being a dumb, sexy blonde in that. But this series... Harley is smart and quirky and sex-positive WITHOUT being sexualised. In this volume, she wears a bikini without being presented as a sex object, and SHE'S NAKED without being overly sexified (which is a word now.) But in the Christmas comic in this volume (I forget the name, sorry!) this happens:


THIS. IS. RIDICULOUS!!! (and really only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to this 20-page comic)

Harley's boobs over-exaggerated for no real reason, super low cut top for no reason (she's going into a dangerous situation, why can't she wear the same thing she ALWAYS does???) Oh, and my personal favourite bit: the male scientist in the background looking at Harley's ass through binoculars. This just feels so male-gaze-y, when every other comic I've read in this series manages to avoid it.

This team can do better. I know they can. I was ecstatic and thrilled and surprised when, in the first volume, Harley was drawn and written as this real person, this real WOMAN. I hope this is a blip I can put in the back of my mind, I really do. I still love this series, but I'm honestly, disappointed (and shocked tbh - I never saw this coming.)

Characters ★★★★
Setting/world ★★☆
Writing ★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment