18 May 2016

ARC Review: A Drop of Night

A Drop of Night | Stefan Bachmann
Published by: Greenwillow BooksMarch 15th 2016
Genre: YA, Horror, Thriller, Mystery
Pages: 464
Format: Ebook
Source: Greenwillow, via Edelweiss

Seventeen-year-old Anouk has finally caught the break she’s been looking for—she's been selected out of hundreds of other candidates to fly to France and help with the excavation of a vast, underground palace buried a hundred feet below the suburbs of Paris. Built in the 1780's to hide an aristocratic family and a mad duke during the French Revolution, the palace has lain hidden and forgotten ever since. Anouk, along with several other gifted teenagers, will be the first to set foot in it in over two centuries.

Or so she thought.

But nothing is as it seems, and the teens soon find themselves embroiled in a game far more sinister, and dangerous, than they could possibly have imagined. An evil spanning centuries is waiting for them in the depths. . .

A genre-bending thriller from Stefan Bachmann for fans of The Maze Runner and Joss Whedon’s The Cabin in the Woods.

You cannot escape the palace.

You cannot guess its secrets.
A Drop of Night is a compelling, twisty, edge-of-your-seat thriller with all the best bits of a horror film and something brilliantly new.

I really liked Anouk, the main character. I totally got her sulky, distant, anti-social nature. There aren't many characters I've read like her and I empathised with her and her story. Plus her snark was 100% me and I loved seeing a bit of myself reflected in a book. The other characters are great too, each of them individual, which is kind of a big deal with a large group of characters. Sometimes they blur into one and I lose track of who's who, but with this book I didn't at all! Plus Will was so cute and I want one.

As well as awesome characters, this book has a tonne of plot twists that kept me guessing and theorising until the very end. It has parts written in the past, which are chilling and atmospheric and VERY unsettling. This book is creepy as heck, especially the Butterfly Man. In parts, it reminded me of the film Thirteen Ghosts - it's got all the revolving, tricking, traps-galore danger that I loved of that, plus a whole lot more just for thrills.

Very well plotted, cleverly written, and just genius in parts. Like nothing I have read before.

Characters 
Setting/world 
Writing 

No comments:

Post a Comment