31 January 2016

Lair of Dreams (ARC Review)

The Diviners: Lair of Dreams | Libba Bray
Published by: ATOMAugust 25th 2015
Genre: YA, Paranormal, Historical, Ghosts
Pages: 613
Format: Ebook
Source: ATOM, via Netgalley

After a supernatural showdown with a serial killer, Evie O'Neill has outed herself as a Diviner. Now that the world knows of her ability to "read" objects, and therefore, read the past, she has become a media darling, earning the title, "America's Sweetheart Seer." But not everyone is so accepting of the Diviners' abilities...

Meanwhile, mysterious deaths have been turning up in the city, victims of an unknown sleeping sickness. Can the Diviners descend into the dreamworld and catch a killer?


At first I didn't think this would live up to the spectacular Diviners, but I was so, so wrong. Lair of Dreams is somehow better and bigger than the first.

The characters grow (and some fall apart) in really realistic, fascinating ways. I loved that we saw more of Henry, and Ling, and though I didn't know if I liked the dreaming parts at first, the mystery surrounding them kept me hooked. Theta's development, and where that's going, really excites me. My only issues are the forced love triangle/fauxmance with Sam and Evie, and the fact there wasn't nearly enough Jericho, and the bits we did get really worried me (REALLY really.)

The story is as captivating and elaborate as in the first book, the writing continues to utterly flumox me because it's that good, and the world building is above and beyond any other book I've read.

Probably one of my favourite series ever. I'm desperate for the next book.

Characters ★
Setting/world-building ★
Writing ★★

No comments:

Post a Comment