16 May 2018

Review: The Afterlife of Holly Chase

Read if you like: teen romance stories, interesting takes on old books, paranormal fantasy.

The Afterlife of Holly Chase | Cynthia Hand

Genre: YA Fantasy
Released: October 24th 2017
Pages: 389
Format: Ebook
Source: Publisher

On Christmas Eve five years ago, Holly was visited by three ghosts who showed her how selfish and spoiled she'd become. They tried to convince her to mend her ways.

She didn't.

And then she died.

Now she's stuck working for the top-secret company Project Scrooge--as the latest Ghost of Christmas Past.

Every year, they save another miserly grouch. Every year, Holly stays frozen at seventeen while her family and friends go on living without her. So far, Holly's afterlife has been miserable.

But this year, everything is about to change. . . .
 

This is perfect for its target audience. Teenagers are going to love this. But me? I wanted it to be more.

The concept of this is so cool, I had an idea of what it'd be in my head. It's a young romance at its heart, and that's kind of IT. I wanted supernatural awesomeness, and the blurb made it sound like it would be. I didn't click with the characters either, or the romance (to me it was just ... bland) so I didn't enjoy it much. I still think its so interesting as a concept and younger readers will find more to love but I just didn't like much.

2.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment